Spain and classic le man's trip

Hello all

Here goes the daft old man again on another trip that seemed a good idea on a Sunday night after a visit to the pub

The idea is sail to Bilbao then up and down various passes in the Pyrenees to Andorra then do the other side of the Pyrenees (French bit) before going up to Le Mans

Now what could go wrong with that plan?

Well the oil leak on Monday with a sailing on Tuesday for a start! Still dinner at 9 pm then packing and a quick polish bed at 12 up at 3 am for 8.30 sailing

Blogged our way onto lorry deck to keep Spitty dry and salt free and off boat first (was looking good gods on our side?)

Then got stuck in massive traffic jam 3 miles down the road! Pulled off to all cool down and the made our way to san Sebastian

Parked Spitty 4 floors down in a private car park then bought a nice bottle carva for 1.75 euros plus nibbles

Since been out for a meal and more carva so world seems better now!

So game on again

Roger

DSC07076.JPG

Edited by rogerguzzi

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello All 

Now in Pamplona after a easy run but thick mist/rain over mountains (2,300 feet)

Managed to drive to within 50 m of hotel!

But had to move car so bar could set out tables but 1 lady sit in to have photo taken!

Spitty in underground carpark now for 2 days

2 vino,s and tapas later all seems good again!

Roger

DSC07118.JPG

Hello All

I had left before they saw the oil (only gearbox!)

Now I am spoiling another floor!

We will be at Le Mans on Thursday afternoon

Roger

Ps vino and tapas are calling! (Its a hard life but some body has to do so it might as well be us?)

DSC07121.JPG

We all make mistakes, Guppy.    Tried to get oil pressure o. A newly rebuilt engine, to find all the oil draining out of the bell housing!   I had left out that plug at the back of the main oil gallery!

Apart from the mess, engine and gear box had to come out again and anew clutch plate too!

John

OH yes just been there, clutch, flywheel all done up 'FT' only to see the same oil plug sat looking at me (bastered), at least I hadn't put the engine back in, I had all the parts lined up ready to fit and just missed it , your thrust washers fitted a treat many thanks

Hello All

You all make me feel like an expert if I ignore the pin hole in the timing cover! O' and the spacer on the clutch push rod which jammed the pedal!

Shall we form a club I think cock ups anonymous ? Who is going to be the chief cock up leader? And at what age do we count from?

Roger

To err is human........ Confession is good for the soul.

I think my messiest cock-up was starting the engine with the top off the gearbox.

Mind you, it's minor league compared to watch can go on in industry; to quote a certain South West Water operator I used to deal with, "You know for sure it's going to be a bad day when you arrive at the works to find a river of sludge flowing under the gate". That one was some genius instrument tech linking out an over-pressure switch which was only doing its job....... feed pipe blew off the centrifuge in the night and the pump kept going.........30m3/h of 6% solids sewage sludge for several hours! Major incident. 

Nick

Hello All

I forgot to say when looking for the timing chest oil leak I left the dip stick out for a while (dip stick 2)

So when I looked up the o/side was nicely oiled so out with the pressure washer and decreaser !!

That was before removing radiator etc!

Still we have had a good day in Pamplona and off to Oloron siante Marie in France 

We saw several live bands playing last night outside and 2 marching bands today

Roger

Ps The Memshahib just before the bulls came through! 

DSC07160.JPG

DSC07173.JPG

DSC07161.JPG

Edited by rogerguzzi

2 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

I forgot to say when looking for the timing chest oil leak I left the dip stick out for a while (dip stick 2)

So when I looked up the o/side was nicely oiled so out with the pressure washer and decreaser !!

Hm, me thinks we should be looking at your crank case pressures when you get back!

Have a great trip, I've stood down the UPS driver.

Alan

2 hours ago, oldtuckunder said:

Hm, me thinks we should be looking at your crank case pressures when you get back!

Have a great trip, I've stood down the UPS driver.

Alan

Hello Allan

I have a breather on the rocker cover to atmosphere and one were the fuel pump fitted with an upward U bend (it that makes sense?) Then to atmosphere with a chamber on the tube so longer on front side!

She has used no oil up to now and if I take the oil filler cap off and rest a piece of paper there it just flaps up and down as I would expect!

Off to do about 3000 feet pass tomorrow

This town is still heaving and seen 2 bands tonight (magic)

Roger

14 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Col d'Aubsique? Just avoid Lourdes. Awful place.

Nick

Hello All

Now at oloron a good drive up 3 passes ERRO 800M ,MEZKIRITZ 922M,IBANETA 1057M (3490 feet)

Going back down to jaca tomorrow not sure which pass yet!

Spitty in a big old garage that would fit 6 cars in!

At 3490 ft the far was showing 14.5 to 15.0 at 1000 rpm so baro must be working as this it what it is set at!

Still will check at higher passes 

Had a good lunch 3 courses 28 euro for steak duck and wine (steak bbq,d ) and good meat platter for starters!

It's a hard life!

Roger

DSC07181.JPG

DSC07189.JPG

DSC07192.JPG

DSC07194.JPG

DSC07195.JPG

3 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

I'm just jealous........

I'm sure you could have found a larger wine container to get filled...... Wot, no jerrycan? :smile:

Hello Nick

It seemed a good idea at the time but you need to grit your teeth when drinking it! Will look for some soda water or lemonade (not throwing it away at 3 euros! I am a pensioner you know!)

Just back from watching a Spainish band on a stage in the square and eating tapas and the odd vino (medinical!)

Roger

P s off to Vielha tomorrow via a couple of passes!

I need to look at the baro correction as it is 14.5/15 at 3500 ft 15/16 at 4000 ft but 18 at 4800 ft ! All at 800/1000 tick over (have small laptop with me may look tomorrow night)

But she pulls ok it's difficult to see afr meter when driving and mpg is only averaging 39 to Portsmouth but 35 since but a lot of passes and fully loaded!

She runs a bit hotter now but that may be the new camshaft? Etc and not sure I like the oil temperature gauge one more worry when it gets to 95 Deg on the passes! Could be the non scientific baffle I fitted?

We just heard a couple of load bangs and could half see a firework display from hotel window sounded just like WW1 but with music!

Edited by rogerguzzi