An unexpected fault

Two weeks ago was Oulton Park, and an unscheduled exit over grass into a gravel trap.      Since then, I've been working to get the parts and fit them to deal with the damage caused, and finished on Sunday PM.  Congratulatory drink, and a start and test run postponed until this morning.

But on flicking the switches - nothing!    Some items ran, but not the fuel pumps, so a start wasn't to be possible.     OK, out with the multimeter, this'll be a doddle, especially if I bear in mind my mantra - what did you do, where were you working?    The last time you did something to the car?      It must have been something I dislodged.  

But all the fuses intact, no loose connections, just no volts at the appropriate switches.    Lying under the dash, neck aching , back being poked into by something I know not what, I traced the wiring, which hasn't been standard for a long time, and for which the only wiring diagram is the thing itself.     And it was all intact.

Finally, I traced it to the ignition relay, which I installed for reliability, as there are so many electrical extras.    It was warm, unsurprising given that the circuits had been on for so long while I tested.    And it clicked as I turn the ignition on and off.   But I have a spare, pop it into the rack, easy check - and it all works!      The relay had failed!  How often has that happened?

An easy repair, if a bit mysterious.     And I must have another spare, as I'm off to Spa for next weekend.   Good Old Halfords!     They had several Type A relays, but no Type 'B', but went out to the back and returned with the correct one - sorted!

John

Glad your back together in time. Don't know if the Gravel at Oulton is like the Kitty Litter at Prescott but even with only a minor excursion at the end of last year, I spent the winter with it coming out of every nook and cranny, the vacuum cleaner was added to work shop necessary tools!

I don't think i ever had a relay fail, until I fitted the Revotec Fan 5 years ago, then I had two fail on it in 12 months, Revotec were good and always supplied replacements, and not had one fail since, but now I always carry a spare in the competition tool box, and as with MJ and EDIS now installed and relay dependant probably an even better idea.

Alan