Last post here was in 2011!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnD

Over on Facebook, Rally Login & Natter, Will Frost has for sale a 2.5L BMW E36 engine, possibly THE Long-6 lump that can challenge the Triumph one!

If anyone is considering a transplant, this is one to consider.

No connection, etc.etc.

John

Edited by JohnD

If the title of this post refers to the 'Engine and anc...' category, I would like to correct John a little (this might be my only ever chance to do that)

The latest pinned post were from 2011. The last regular post were from june this year - not all is bad :-)

Cheers

Nick

I bow with humility to my corrector!    

It did surprise me that it appeared to be so ignored.   I should have looked further down the list.

Nick, I don't know.  Anyone interested, please contact Will.

John

BMW sixes are glorious.

I have a 3 litre petrol in a 1 series.  It is fantastic.  Smooth (you get to the red line and think "how the hell did that happen, can't I have a couple of thousand more revs...."), and damned powerful - traction control works overtime in the wet if you're not feather light on the throttle!  Vanos is a hoot too, from 4500 rpm it starts to take off.

It would be a great engine for a Triumph, but I like the approach of refining and tweaking what's there rather than completely changing it (but I approve of those who want to make more radical changes).

I think the engine code for this BMW 6 is N52, it's got no turbos, aluminium block and about 270Hp.  Not sure how heavy it is, but can't be more than the Triumph lump?

Will.

There was a man used to pop up on here or maybe CT (also Retro Rides) who put an alloy-blocked 2.5 and matching 'box in a Mk1 2000. It wasn't easy, especially given his limited workshop facilities. He kept at it and did a nice job. Car was at Stoneleigh a few years back. He sold it - would have been sorely tempted if offered it. Major difficulty was size. Much bigger than the Triumph 6. It went well apparently.