Sign in to follow this  
JohnD

Getting through

We recently had a member tell us of their distress at the death of a close familiy member.   Many here gave their sympathy and support, and I hope it helped.

There's so much talk of trauma in life,  and the need for counselling after an unpleasant experience.     Terry Pratchett was not considered a psychologist or a counsellor, just a writer, but he was enormously wise as well as funny.    Quote from "Thud!", one of his Disc World novels;  Commander Vimes has just been through a most unpleasant experience.  "His mind worked fast, flying in emergency supplies of common sense, as human minds do, to construct a huge anchor in sanity"

People are tough.    They have proved it time and again.      If they need anyone else, then family, friends and colleagues can and do provide the support they need, not "professional" counsellors.   When that support and their common sense can't construct the anchor, some will need temporary medical support, a very few long term support, but by far the most will get through.   And I can recommend Pratchett, who can make a horse laugh.

John

I'm a big fan of Pratchetts work also, as is no. 1 son.  I think we have copies of most of his works in the house.  I don't often laugh out loud when reading, but if I do, I'm probably reading Pratchett.  Sadly there won't be any more.  Ankh Morporks twin town, Wincanton, is just up the road.

The feedback page of New Scientist occasionally raises a chuckle too - though usually a different humour.

Nick

I'm a big fan of the wisdom of Sam Vimes.... but I'm not biased because I'm called Sam, not one bit.

I rather hope that David Tennent and Michael Sheen make a good job of "Good Omens".

GOFilming-023.jpg

Edited by yorkshire_spam

I loved Pratchett for his parody, but for me Douglass Adams will always live at the to of the tree, for his sheer observational quality.  No one in my lifetime or experience has ever been able to point out nearly as many obvious and incredible funny things we never knew we did or need

If ever life is a struggle, try to spot something that's patently Somebody Else's Problem, or figure out some Bistromath, or simply enjoy a Gynantonnix whilst watching the Krikket, and kick back in your luxurious bubble bath, and think to yourself how simple the theory of flying is. ("Throw yourself at a planet, and miss.)

The world will be a less serious and more fun place.

C.

Adams was so terminally relaxed, about everything!

Quote, "I just love the sound of deadlines, as they go whizzing by!"

Allegedly, he was locked into his room by his producer when the deadline for the first, radio, production of HHGTTU was deadlining, to MAKE hime keep it!

But yes, who else could write:

What's so unpleasant about being drunk?" 
"You ask a glass of water.”

John

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

"Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of."

H2G2 was a massive influence on my teenage years, radio, tv and books!

Ah yes, Douglas Adams, We have nearly every version of the audio books and both boys are prone to quoting passages from them without warning.

Different humour again but we quite like Bryson as well.

Nick