Mr Tiger

Toyota Yaris Indicator Problems

The indicators on my 2009 Yaris work properly when turning left but are unreliable when turning right. A bit of Googling suggests that the stalk or switch wears out rapidly and is a common problem. Mine has done under 23k miles from new.

I believe the steering wheel has to be removed to get at the stalk and the airbag has to be removed to get the steering wheel off. 

If I disconect the battery for safety, are there likely to be any computer or sensor issues when it is reconnected?

Also, will the radio code be lost if the battery is disconnected?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris

No specific Yaris (or Toyota)knowledge, but from the VAG and Kia stuff I've worked on.....

Disconnecting the battery about 30 minutes before disturbing airbag systems is highly recommended.
This has never caused me any fault code issues with vehicle systems though the engine management may forget any learnt parameters causing it to drive slightly different afterwards
If you have a coded factory radio then yes, it will lock the radio.  I don't know whether Yaris radios are coded or not.  If coded, the code is usually on a card somewhere in the original handbook/service info pack if you have that.

Are you sure it's the stalk and not one of the bulbs gone or making intermittent contact on the offending side?  Might be worth a quick check first?

Nick

Thanks for your reply Nick. I wasn't aware that the battery should be disconnected 30 minutes or so before disturbing the airbag. You may well have saved me some nasty injuries, for which I am grateful.

I'm fairly certain the stalk or contacts within are worn. All indicators work with the hazzards switched on. Sometimes, when the right hand indicators don't work, giving the stalk a shove gets them going again, briefly.

Thanks again,

Chris

I managed to replace the indicator / headlight stalk yesterday and luckily, everything seems to be working as it should. After disconnecting the battery there don't seem to be any issues with the car running differently. Also, the radio still works.

The only part I found difficult was removing and refitting the airbag.

If anyone else needs to replace a stalk on a modern Toyota, the links below may be of help.

If you are lucky enough to have the airbag held in to the steering wheel with two torx screws, this link explains most of what you'll need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgWSzVeILhc&feature=youtu.be

If your airbag doesn't have the torx screws, it's probably held in with three metal spring clips. I found these difficult to release as they are behind the airbag. The theory seems to be that you put a screwdriver through the one hole in the steering wheel and release the first spring clip. That's easier said than done. Once the first clip is released, in theory, the airbag should be loose enough to reach the other two clips. The video link below shows the clips and the hole in steering wheel for the screwdriver. I don't know what language it is in but it clearly shows the clips and screwdriver hole. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCzIbq77d3w

The procedure is also discussed in the following link:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46511

The video below is also useful as it shows removal of the steering column cowl and the electriccal connectors that need to be undone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUapQVygKRU

It's a shame that this sort of work is needed on modern cars at such a low mileage. Mine has done under 23k but I've heard of some with problems at 10k miles. The indicators work properly on my 1971 TVR, that's been around the clock at least once.

The new indicator /headlight stalk was a few pence short of £103 from my local Toyota dealer.

Chris