Forget what you saw before...

Hi,

Most of the time, valve gear clearance increases. Why would it decrease?

Cheers,

iaIn.

Edited by spitfire6

Hi,

Ohh poo.

Engine as quite as f*** @ idle. I never hear the tappets..

Time for compression test followed by my DIY air flow tester.

New alloy rad has started to leak and stranded me until RAC added a bottle of rad weld or similar. Can't find the compression tester so new one on order and looks like the blow by test first!

I run 0w40 Ester oil, so was too focused on the increasing valve clearance. Which has never happened.

Bought a new 20 quid rad to replace mine while I sort out with EBay seller.

If its dry tomorrow will post air flow tests on the six.

Thanks,

Iain.

Hi,

So Tappet adjuster and cylinder pressure gauge kit arrived today.

Engine tested 90 minutes after getting home.

#1 149 PSI

#2 140 PSI

#3 135 PSI

#4 135 PSI

#5 130 PSI

#6 unknown.

Upon testing #6 the hose decided to break! Hose from kit no-good & broken.

When I removed #3 plug the connect stayed on the plug; Magnacore lead broken.

So low pressures, Gauge F***ed and spark plug lead kaput. Not feeling very happy at moment. Fuck.

While preparing to email EBay and Magnacore. I see that I have push on rubber connectors in the engine pressure kit.

Decide to test #6 and end up testing all again with help of mini me. Results (Peak):IMG_0908.thumb.JPG.edf9d802e0690603257dcecf62c6bf8c.JPGIMG_0907.thumb.JPG.acbc26d19c4ea8dac3e3ba062c1f9afa.JPGIMG_0911.thumb.JPG.42ed9c36644c83dd2335e9ee69724947.JPGIMG_0906.thumb.JPG.aee14acdaa39393462e6752b7d863770.JPGIMG_0910.thumb.JPG.e1e17f84d220b8008e79e773ded26ad5.JPGIMG_0909.thumb.JPG.7aa8b032c1b66f0960f0c19926d661e2.JPG

#1 180

#2 185

#3 173

#4 173

#5 173

#6 165

I am not going to retest with oil at the moment, but will move straight onto tappet adjustments after work when engine is cold.

Will test cold compression, check tappets and then test compression again.

Looking for a spare carbon lead now as it will be a shame not to go to work in the beast tomorrow. Will delay tappet adjust though...

What started as a bad exercise, is not too bad?

Here are some pictures. Which have ended up in the wrong placement. LOL

Comments?

Cheers,

Iain.

Had a similar problem with the Hose on my leakdown kit. If its plastic coated (rather than rubber) they pick up heat fast via the screw in connectors, go soft and if you then screw them in or out using the hose (which seems obvious) then they can break or go loose in the crimped ferrule. Mine went loose and leaked (supplier replaced) but I re-crimped the ferrule and epoxy bonded a length of pipe over the ferrule and up the pipe a bit, one to lock it all together and two to give me something to grip on instead of the pipe.

After doing that, I found I still had a leak, the adaptor that screws into the block was grounding out before the O Rind sealed properly, however looking at yours the O ring looks big enough not to allow that.

Hi,

As you say, only way to tighten the deal is via the hose that looks like it's not meant to have any stress. Looks like its been crimped with a pair of donkey teeth. It lasted 5 threading's..

The push on rubber piece is also showing signs of wear!

I will be asking for a refund, as if the new one lasts twice as long, it's still kak. A better quality one is required. Will take to work and see if the "quick release" fits anything and test the gauge. Hoping it reads low. Battery on charge & will test 6 to 1 tomorrow.

Shoved some tin foil in the plug lead and pushed the connector back on. Gotta drive it while the sun is oot!

Cheers,

Iain.

Edited by spitfire6
added tesxt

Ah the ubiquitous Red Box!   As we buy cheap Chinese Compression Testers, Chinese Compression Test Manufacturers buy the same cheap box to package their kits. My Compression tester is similar, however the hose in my Compression Tester was of OK usable quality, whilst the one in the Leak Down Tester Kit wasn't!

Actually the Compression tester seems to work OK, however as you only have one plug size I suggest that you throw away the other  adaptors, carefully seal the new hose to the correct one, and use the flats on the adaptor if there is any resistance at all in screwing in or out.

Even if you throw away the rubbish bits, if you work out the value of the bits left, especially for the number of times used, its still dirt cheap.

Alan

Hi Alan,

I paid less than 10 quid. If I throw away all the rubbish parts I will have nothing left.

Just read the text on the box again; second line..

The check valve is crap. the second time I looked at the gauge and recorded the peak as the peak is higher than the stored reading.

I will see if I can check the gauge tomorrow, but in any case, I have a delta between cylinders, which is not good.

Still got my celestial flow meter and compressor to test. That came in a nice red bubble box too.

Cheers,

Iain.

Edited by spitfire6
second line

Yes, "red box" tools.    I bought a pipe expander I one of those.    You know, a conical former on a bolt that you tighten up so that it expands inside the tube.

It broke, the cones crumbled.   Large pieces, so I set to, to weld it back together.

The pieces CAUGHT FIRE!   Yes, blocks of metal, burning on the bench.   I suspect that they were not castings , but powder-formed, with some lubricant in the original metal powder to help it flow and the lubricant was inflammable.

John

Edited by JohnD

I have a Gunson compression tester...... Bought about 30 years ago (when no Chinese tat existed in the tool market) and still going strong........  Must be thousand languishing in drawers and tool chests.

Nick

Hi,

Full refund.

Just bought a secondhand one of EBay.

Anyone want to buy a Gunsung Hi-pressure compression tester? Universal fitting as it has two tubes with rubber on the ends. Nice red box that a member on here says is nice. £9 Only Ramadan special price. £10 delivery within 10 miles.

Cheers,

Iain.

gunsung.png

Hi,

The Gunsung gauge is now longer for sale as it was really the unit I bought without the lead. Sorry. just realised my engine must have over 300 PSI, as the leads are marked as such. So I need to pay back the money that was refunded. My fault.  Looks like I can safely disconnect the primary on coil pack and run on diesel. 40 MPG here i come.

Cheers,

Iain.