Mission, Ignition!

Two friends and I took part earlier this year in the pilot for a new TV series, "Mission, Ignition!"  made by the production company East Media, who are now seeking contestants for more episodes.

I can't tell you anything about it, confidential, I'd have to kill you, except to say that we had a great time, and anyone on Sideways would too.

JOhn

East Media are looking for self-taught mechanics in the UK to take part in an exciting new car rebuild race TV series. If you can put together a team of three enthusiasts with the skills to rebuild a classic car, then you have the potential to WIN A CLASSIC CAR. Contact us at CASTING@EASTMEDIA.TV for details on how to apply, please include your NAME and CONTACT PHONE NUMBER in the email.

Image may contain: text

How could they "slate it for the content" when the programme hasn't been shown yet? 

Yes, it was from a post on the old CT board that we were recruited,  and people were scornful of the concept at the time.  More fools them, because we had a great time!  

If you're a polisher not a fettler, its not for you, so don't bother, RR.   

Johnstone

6 hours ago, GT6MK3 said:

Nick Jones...  Paging Nick Jones...

Hello.......?  Yes, interesting idea.  Wary of time pressures and deadlines as a device to add "excitement".  Is there any way to get a bit more info without accidentally signing up John?  Searching "Mission Ignition" does get quite a few hits but none that seem to relate to this.

Nick

No, there's no webpage to go with it yet.  As said, we have been asked to keep confidential the content and format of the show, so can't discuss those, but it took two days - one and a half, really, allowance for delays - and we got put up in a local motel.  Nothing luxurious, but we had great fun!   If at all interested, suggest you contact East via their email and then discuss the project with them.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Now it can be shown!    First episode of "Mission- Ignition!" to be shown on the 30th March.   See:  https://www.channel4.com/programmes/mission-ignition?fbclid=IwAR1jPQrsZxKbcwavbuId7PR-OqfO8Im6x_00-09DbebsCn3Q2HWCoeXHVBQ

I'm told its ladies first, an episode with female teams will start the series.   So hold onto your hats for the Spitfire Aces one.

John

The pressure was time rather than complexity.     The objective, as the title says, was to get the engine started, but only once all other parts were reassembled to allow the car to be legally driven away!  

It may not be the greatest television since 'Civilisation', but it was great fun to do, with good mates, the other Spitfire Aces.      See what you think next Saturday.

John

54 minutes ago, JohnD said:

It may not be the greatest television since 'Civilisation', but it was great fun to do, with good mates, the other Spitfire Aces.      See what you think next Saturday.

John

As with many car related tv. 

Car sos, wheeler dealers, gas monkey etc

its just lighthearted fun, and in my mind keeps motoring to the fore. 

Long may it continue. 

H

I see that the opening episode is up against a BBC 2 Special, a Dave Allen Evening.     All evening!    For me that would trump anything else, if it wasn't so personal, so make sure you can use the iPlayer, or All4, the play-it-again webservices so as not to miss a thing!

John

9 hours ago, JohnD said:

I see that the opening episode is up against a BBC 2 Special, a Dave Allen Evening.     All evening!    For me that would trump anything else, if it wasn't so personal, so make sure you can use the iPlayer, or All4, the play-it-again webservices so as not to miss a thing!

John

DVR all setup ready to record it. Was this with Tom and Vinnie?

Mike

Well, it wasn't the new "Blue Planet", and we haven't discovered the David Attenborough of car restoration, but it was an OK hour.   Of course, when the Aces appear, the screen will light up, our phones will ring continuously with calls from agents, and we'll have to engage security to control the crowds outside our homes.    BAFTAs, of course, probably summonds to the Palace for tea with Her Madge.   Will it change our lives?  Of course not, we will still be the opinionated know-it-alls we have always been.  Just this time, TV star know-it-alls!

John

Yes, Howard Whoever is a non-entity, but Dario Franchetti is the real thing.    Not a natural presenter, but motorsport royalty.

Why not identical cars?    Because potentially - and I don't think they played that card at all well, despite the Motoring Vicar - the difference adds to the interest.    But few viewers will know the difference between a Porsche 911 and a 944, let alone a Lotus Elan from a Lotus blossom.    They should have used Ralph's interventions more, of which we had several, and used more of  his comments and explanations of why this or that was difficult or easy.

I noticed that this edition, made later than our pilot, learned from our experience!   We were presented with small parts, fasteners, nuts& bolts for each assembly, done up in wraps of duct tape!     Each took ages to prise apart, and we pointed this out - as we were asked to do on problems - afterwards.   This time the parts appeared on compartmented trays.

Other differences.   Here the Reveal was by a presenter pushing  aside a screen - we just walked around it.      And I don't think our Blue or Red overalls had a "Mission Ignition!" badge on them.     

Anyway, stardom becons.   Bring my trailer to the lot, please?   I need a lie-down to gain motivation, darlings.

.J.

Edited by JohnD

If I'm allowed to converse with you John without going through your agent?....:)

I liked it, in the same way as I like shows such as Car SOS, Shed & Buried, etc.  It seemed to be more authentic and down to earth than some of the other shows, and didn't have that awful false jeopardy most shows seem to love. I guess the re-built cars needed a thorough check and probable re-assemble before going anywhere near a road?

It did still have that really annoying habit of endless re-caps that seem to suggest that the viewers have the memory of a goldfish but, that aside, it was enjoyable and I'm looking forward to the next one.

I'm sort of hoping your car was a Triumph?   But then that would be too easy.....

OK, peeps, curb your impatience, yesterday's issue of MI! wasn't us either, but I am reliably infomed that next Saturday, IT WILL BE!

But take note - the prog will be broadcast at 1900, not the time the previous episodes went out.  So, if you are looking forward to ROLFing and LMAOng, as you think OMG, these guys should  have RTFM, as you watch our inept ways. make you you are in front of your TV, or else have programmed a recording at the right time.   Or can access All4, the Channel 4 catchup webpage.

I wouldn't want you to miss a moment.

JOhn