Holed piston

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

All the Triumph engines i have worked on have had the caps numbers etched on so shouldn't be a problem.

Provided they came from that block......  Actually, if the numbers are a set they'll probably be fine.  One of my 2.5 engines turned out to have two #3 caps and I don't think either was from the original block.  It also had "shims" made from a coke can to allow it to turn.  Made some odd noises when warm.....  That's the one I fired up on the garage floor and was so impressed with the oil pressure I went to the trouble of putting it in the car.........  Cold oil pressure means nothing!

Nick

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So your build is kind of the same as mine but with a slightly different cam , you have roller rockers, and mines had some head work and is megajolted. 

They are much of a muchness to be honest 

Mine made peak torque at 5000rpm (123lbft) . It went over 110lbft at 2500rpm and over 120 at about 4300 rpm and was still over 120 when we shut off at 5500. so give or take a handfull they are there or thereabouts. I am running a single bore pipe on a 6-3-1 phoenix fits where it touches manifold and triple 40s too, with an electric fan 

So in the grand scheme of things they are more or less identical curves coming in at about 2500 and slowly coming up till 5000 (ish), just little differences here and there. 

Good news for you after the piston incident. Touch wood it will all be fine now.

I hope so, i'll take reliability over the last few BHP's any day. Having the engine set up on the dyno is money well spent in my opinion, carbs are tuned in & the dizzy curve has been modified to suit.

Torque looks flat so she should pull well all the way through the rev range. 

Well assuming it pulls the same way mine does, it will be a grin a minute. I love getting to that bit, the one you really cant quite put your finger on , when the cam gets excited, the back of the car sits itself down and things go into hyperdrive,** and it makes a noisy howl like a rather disgruntled wild animal

**To be honest my eurobox Audi is quicker, but it feels much faster when your bum is 4 inches from the floor! 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Went to connect up the prop shaft and not 20 seconds in the car and the gear box remote housing cut me badly the bastard.

Talking of which getting the exhaust back in and connected up to the tubular manifold was much of a similar vein, for give me the pun.

Need to touch up the chassis rails now the zorst is back in, another job...

RR

Looks like I've lost the engine number after the block was decked, not a problem for me but could be here with registering it, does anyone know where to get the right sized stamps? Measured my old block and they look to be 9/16 which is roughly 7mm and not a size readily available.