Throttle Snail cam

Hello All

I want to make a snail cam linkage for my EFI set up as it is a bit sensitive a small throttle opening(I think 40mm ITB,s are a touch to big ?)

I have trawled the Dark web but can not find a nice design I can make or ones for sale!

So have any of you made or fitted something along these lines?

I was thinking perhaps 1/2 throttle pedal movement to 1/4 to 1/3 ITB movement!

Roger

image.png.1ff6e163d71bed30216a63deb6e5c2be.png

Have you looked at the jenvey linkages? they are very nice, but not a budget option. May help with ideas.

Somewhere I have one off an SU carb. On my bike ITBs I used the original, then adjusted the cable attachment on the pedal so I get a full travel, and I think now it is too much. I keep forgetting to bury the throttle in the carpet (or maybe my legs are getting even shorter)

Hello All

I have found this one! do we think it looks like a snail cam?

https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/dellorto-car-carburettors-parts/parts/dhla-parts/alfa-cable-quadrant-lever/

Roger

ps bigger image and it looks the right thing! I will print an image and work out a scale that would fit and maybe make one!

11089.jpg

Edited by rogerguzzi

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All

This is what I have made and it seems to be better but the cable I made up is a bit short so the bends are to tight but I have ordered some bike teflon type and stainless steel cable to make longer ones that hopefully will be smoother action!

Roger

ps plus I now get 100% throttle opening it was about 85% before

DSC06871.JPG

DSC06873.JPG

Yes your usual neat piece of engineering Roger!

Alan

PS. Re Teflon bike cables, whilst working on my piston lift logging project last year I switched to using them, the friction difference is amazing to a normal bowden cable.

You can get some very slick bike cable technology these days!

A degree of OCD goes with the territory I think....... :biggrin:  Most of us on here are blessed/afflicted with it to some degree.  I'm too lazy to line screw heads up though - perhaps that's why I prefer cross heads as non-alignment is much less noticeable..... :blink:

Nick

20 hours ago, oldtuckunder said:

Yes your usual neat piece of engineering Roger!

Alan

PS. Re Teflon bike cables, whilst working on my piston lift logging project last year I switched to using them, the friction difference is amazing to a normal bowden cable.

You can get some very slick bike cable technology these days!

Hello Alan

Not always!

The bike cables came today and they feel nice and 2 for £4!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Cycle-Inner-Outer-Brake-Cable-Set-Road-Mountain-BMX-Stainless/361122566996?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=630465542408&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Roger

DSC06875.JPG

DSC06877.JPG

DSC06876.JPG

12 hours ago, spitfire6 said:

Hi,

The link is for polyethylene lined cables. Do you have a link for the PTFE ones?

Cheers,

Iain.

Hello Ian

My mistake I thought they were Teflon but are PE ! Still it's feels smooth and better than ordinary outer cable!

Plus they are cheap

Roger

Hi Roger,

Several years ago when I received my car after a major rebuild it had the stiffest throttle springs known to man as the throttle cable was crap.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycles/Maintenance_and_Repair/Cables_and_Housings  makes an interesting read about the types and ends.

EBay has been fun to look at.

I need to buy some super-smooth ones for my car, as I need to increase the return spring tension to solve a slight and occasional couple of hundred increase rpm at idle.

I also have a percent or two of ripple on the TPS at idle. Going to retrofit a cap across the 5vDC supply rail, but feel its the butterflies oscillating and closed throttle.

On my car, discovering that the throttles were not opining fully and adjusting the cable so I had a full sweep made no difference to performance.

Cheers,

Iain.

I just went to Halfords, bought a double ended brake cable and cut it in half.

This was for my dual throttla cable.   The two ends with formed stops on go on the pedal lever, the other ends are clamped by barrel ends in clevises on the throttle mechanism.  See: http://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/7868-lhd-carb-throttle-linkage/&tab=comments#comment-103574

John

On 5/20/2018 at 9:16 PM, spitfire6 said:

I need to buy some super-smooth ones for my car, as I need to increase the return spring tension to solve a slight and occasional couple of hundred increase rpm at idle.

Finally got my custom throttle cable installed, this one stands a far better chance of withstanding the rigours of instant hard competition WOT, outers now meet at a bulkhead block so are only in compression nothing trying to grip the outer.

How can one man spend so much time on a bloody throttle cable?

Found I had some teflon lined outer, but also whilst digging through cable inners left from data logging project, found a couple of these:

https://jagwire.com/products/inner-wire/mountain-elite-ultra-slick-brake-inner-wire

Now if you want smooth and slick these make ordinary cable inners feel like rough tree bark, and by luck the Jagwire nipple was also a perfect fit for my throttle lever.

Alan

Hi,

Jagwire. Thanks Alan.

Elite outer & pro inner cable fitted with a pair of stronger springs:

idles @ 850 ish now consistently, can't say for sure as my comms cable has a broken ground (5) wire. Damn Emerald for not using a standard RS323C 9 pin wiring! Soldering tonight.

What's noticeable, is a very short outer cable is no problem. Original cable had to be long or throttle got stiff. Happy days.

addendum; the outer cable is linear and not the normal spiral. I thought linear was useful for bike gears as it doesn't bend under contraction, excellent for car throttle.

Cheers,

Iain.