Any Megasquirt experts?

Hi to all, I know there are many Megaquirt forums but I have found many knowledgeable people on this one. My plans are to EFI my 69 GT6 and I have been offered this Megasquirt but I want to know exactly which model and version it is and how much a similar one would cost if bought new. I also want to be sure this is not a counterfit. Thanks in advance. 

Alfredo

IMG-20180427-WA0022.jpg

IMG-20180427-WA0023.jpg

IMG-20180427-WA0021.jpg

IMG-20180427-WA0024.jpg

Looks like MS2 on version 3.0 hardware.  Looks like a real one and reasonably tidily assembled. 

DIY Autotune are one of the big suppliers (a good one) and sell as kits

here https://www.diyautotune.com/product/megasquirt-ii-programmable-efi-system-pcb3-0-kit-w-black-case/

or pre-built

here https://www.diyautotune.com/product/megasquirt-ii-ems-system-smd-pcb3-57-assembled-ecu/

The one you are looking at was almost certainly supplied as a kit as the ready made ones are usually supplied as the 3.57 version with surface mount components.

There are more variations within the basic spec shown which have slightly different componentry and/or links on the board.  These depend on what kind of crank position sensor you are using, what sort of of ignition system you want to run, whether you want two pressure sensors (for continuous barometric correction - the one shown doesn't have this).  These are are things that can be changed pretty easily.  There are also many different firmware possibilities - which can be changed easily enough.

Basically, it ought to be able to do the job you want it for.  Question is - does it work properly?  If built right they seem to be very reliable.  Do you know anything about it's history?

Hope this helps.

Nick

Nick, thanks for thr info, the megasquirt was working on a 2lt VW, for some reason the owner is selling the ported head with the megasquirt, he had some shop do the work for him so he knows nothing about the specifics of this arangement. He is willing to sell only the megasquirt but I have to make him an offer... Thanks so much and I'll let you know how it goes. One last question, in case some one did something wrong and the megasquirt is not working, are they easyto repair?

Alfredo

I've not had one go wrong (except for one that I was asked to "finish" which refuses to work on the car it was built for but will work in mine - I have no idea why).

In general problems seem to be the result of either poor solder joints during assembly or miss-use / wrong wiring which blow up the inputs and outputs - relatively easy to find and fix if you have a stimulator (test device).  Version 3 hardware is electrically more robust (esp the power supply) than the earlier 2.2

Good luck!

Nick