Sign in to follow this  
GT6MK3

Flying visit

Whoohoo.  Looks like I'm coming to sunny old England in early October.  I have to be in Paris by the 9th, but I'm hoping to fly into Heathrow on the 6th, then magically (ok trains, busses, and probably hoofing it|) transport myself down to Devon to meet Nick, and have a squid at the RBRR runners while he's marshalling at Bournemouth on the 7th, then shoot of to Paris somehow or other - it's a very loose plan so far.  

Would love to meet up with any other Sideways alumni while I'm there.

GT6Steve - feel like a visit to England?

Bit far south for me, Steve, for a flying visit, but hope you have good weather!

John

1 hour ago, yorkshire_spam said:

but will probably be zombified by the time we get that far round!

Depends alot on the weather........ I was a zombie by that point on the 2008 run as weather was poor generally and terrible both nights especially.  Having done this checkpoint 4 times since as a marshal (intentionally, to remind myself why I'm not doing the run!), it is noticeable that the condition of entrants is directly related to the weather they've had to travel through.  2016 the the weather had been quite good and they were all surprisingly chipper. 2010 (I think, or maybe 2012) the weather was so bad we were competing with the River Dart itself for the car park and there was a group of white water canoeists launching from the car park too.  The RBRR crews were hanging..... :hot:

Craig will have been doing some serious travelling too, as well as having a body clock 10 hours out of whack...... he'll fit right in! :biggrin:

Nick

Not wanting to hi-jack Steve's thread, but by that point in 2014 we were just focused on getting back to the Plough. Stop, toilet, drink, book signed, back on the road.

On 4/10/2018 at 8:16 AM, GT6MK3 said:

GT6Steve - feel like a visit to England?

I'm always interested.  Let's see what's up as it gets closer...

On 4/11/2018 at 1:22 AM, JohnD said:

Bit far south for me, Steve, for a flying visit, but hope you have good weather!

John

19 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Not wanting to hi-jack Steve's thread, but by that point in 2014 we were just focused on getting back to the Plough. Stop, toilet, drink, book signed, back on the road.

Jeeze, it's 8 years to the day since I joined here.  Attractive and talented as Steve may be, my name's Craig!

And it's official, I'm booked and headed to England for my first real visit in 30 years (19 hours sitting in a chair in Heathrow in 2001 doesn't count!)

C.

I'll have a fortnight there immediately after, driving Miss Daisy my not so young parents around Western France

Oh, dear, Craig , I'll have to blame that on  age - it's a convneient excuse for many things!

Sincere apologies!

JOhn

4 hours ago, GT6MK3 said:

Jeeze, it's 8 years to the day since I joined here.  Attractive and talented as Steve may be, my name's Craig!

And it's official, I'm booked and headed to England for my first real visit in 30 years (19 hours sitting in a chair in Heathrow in 2001 doesn't count!)

C.

Humble apologies.... Im just a noob who hasn't figured out who's whom yet. 

Easy, i'm in Brittany, probably forever as person non grata in the UK now.

Let me know if you fancy driving around non congested, well maintained roads with little traffic.