swing spring vs camber compensator

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Nick

I asked Canley Classics which spring they use in the swing spring kit and how much?

They answered the spring is the 159654 (GT6 Mk3) £235 but none in stock.

So I took to Tinterweb and Fleabay

I found one being being sold by TRGB (TR people) for £183 inc P&P

Looking at the photo it has to deeper arch and I could see a label the said Canley Classics and Owen Springs.(good make I believe!)

So I have bought it!

I will tell the Memsahib we can not carry much luggage!

Roger

ps anybody want a de cambered spring (may be uprated ) and a camber compensator ?

Hello All

My new spring came yesterday and looks good.

The bottom leaf and loop leaf are 5/16" 0.312" thick (old spitfire one is 1/4" 0.250")

All other leaves are 3/8" 0.375" on both springs.

The button pressing is 1" on new spring and 3/4" on old spring 

The free camber height is  4 3/16"    old one 3 1/4"

Roger

DSC01747.JPG

DSC01750.JPG

Hello All

Now I am thinking shall I replace the driveshafts after reading the woes on the TSSC thread.

I would get them from Fitchett as the ones I bought for the Spitfire looked better than the ones that failed(loose yoke) and they have done several thousand miles now.

I am thinking the ones on now have possibly had a hard life sprinting etc?

Roger

Hello All

I have fitted the swing spring with the old drive shafts as I thought at this rate I will never get it back together!

I have lowered down onto the lift with some carpet under each wheel so they can slide and settle

It is sitting a bit high with quite a bit of negative camber(I did jump up and down in the back to help) but at the moment there are no seats or carpets in and the fuel tank is empty and no spare wheel in the boot or exhaust system

Plus no dashboard or bonnet or radiator etc so I suppose it will be a bit heavier later?

Spitty sat a bit high when I fitted a new spring but has settled now.

I have decided to overhaul the old cylinder head and remove the race tuned one with its tulip valves etc(I will offer it for sale later)

I have had a good look at the brake pipe route and I think if I fit a new bracket in a slightly different position it will clear the spring ok(I have ordered the Spitfire 1500 ones as they are a bit longer so I will have a play) it will be easier than solid pipe on the brake plate and bracket.

Roger

• 2 months later...

Roger,

How did you get on with the GT6 swing spring?  I have a '62 Vitesse Saloon stripped to bare chassis and debating whether to change to swing spring set up.  I've located the same spring as you but a bit nervous over the final ride height, final camber etc.

Andy

Andy,

The swing spring is firm in bounce, soft in roll, as it was designed to be.     Vitesse is a bit heavier than the Spitfire but the same as a GT6, which got the swing spring, when the Vit did not, so ride height should not suffer, nor camber at rest.        SofS is a different fish kettle, with a very stiff fixed spring and non-Triumph drive train outboard of the diff, so no comparison, but my Silverback had a swing spring and even in racing conditions that gave me no concern.    For more technical details, read the first page of thios thread.

I think you'll be fine with the swing spring.   

John

Hello Andy C 

I am afraid I can not give you any more information as the car is still on the lift and being worked on.

As I said at the moment it has a fair bit of negative camber but there are no carpets, seats or trim in it and the petrol tank is empty and there is no spare wheel etc in the boot or exhaust system.

So there is a lot of weight to go back in so I am not to bothered and I expect the spring will settle a bit with use.

It will suit us better as a road car for touring but still quickish but not as hard ride as the camber compensator would give plus the extra ground clearance.

Plus it will still be better mannered at the rear end I hope Spitty never worries me at the speeds we(I!) go

Roger

John, Roger,

Many thanks for the responses. I 'm relieved to hear the GT6 spring will not sit lower due to the extra weight.  I did however want to lower the car slightly so will probably incorporate a 1/2 or 3/4 lowering block.  Is it better to work out which one after the car is reassembled or just fit it first by chance?  I will be fitting adjustable height coil overs to the front so no issues getting it level but just concerned about being too low at the rear with any rear seat passengers/ luggage.  Any advice very much appreciated...

Thanks

Andy

If you intend to lower the rear,then lowering the front will prevent it looking odd.   That needs shorter springs, that must  be stiffer to avoid grounding or closing up the coils.   All the usual suspects will sell suitable springs.    Dampers with adjustable seats will help get the height as you want.