Sign in to follow this  
JohnD

Fuzz and Mark build an engine

On Facebook, Car SOS has gone "Uncut" with an engine rebuild video with Fuzz and Our Mark.

Can't find a copy on YouTube, so here is the URL for the Fb page.    It's sp short that thier explanation of cam timing gets a bit garbled,    but I like Mark's 'finger tests' lookimng for tightness in shafts and straightness in faces.    Truely 'educated', highly skilled fingers!

J.

That was fun, Thanks John.

Re the wooden wedges, how do we feel about modern RTV's like Permatex Ultra Grey or Threebond 1104.  Personally, I suspect I'd trust modest tech like this two over the wedges, but I'm happy to be shown why I'm wrong (yet again...)

C.

Find it difficult to believe Mark fitted in a Spitfire let alone raced it in the 750MC RoadsSports back in the 70's and 80's.  I prefer to completely build my engines on the bench and then fit a perspex plate being the outer shape of the manifold gasket along with stud holes only.  Serves the same purpose by preventing bits falling in the ports and a lot easier than leaning over an engine bay.

Pete Richards

4 hours ago, GT6MK3 said:

That was fun, Thanks John.

Re the wooden wedges, how do we feel about modern RTV's like Permatex Ultra Grey or Threebond 1104.  Personally, I suspect I'd trust modest tech like this two over the wedges, but I'm happy to be shown why I'm wrong (yet again...)

C.

I feel good about modern sealants.  I leave the old wooden blocks in place and add a little sealant when fitting the bridge piece.  If using the original monkey metal part ( I always have) it needs to have all it threads present and to be flat & straight.  They can be straightened if distorted.

Lump of kitchen towel in the ports for me - big enough to stick out a bit and be obvious.

Nick

Interesting post in Facebook's Triumph Vitesse International pages.   https://www.facebook.com/groups/355145157954928/?fref=nf

A Vitesse block, well split by getting frozen solid.  

I mention this. because in the video, Fuzz fits the core plugs, commenting that they will protect the block from being cracked by freezing, by popping out.  The Americans perpetuate this by calling them 'Freeze Plugs".   Not so, as the Fb pics prove!

JOhn

Core plugs are to fill holes left by the casting process (machined round to accept plugs).  They do very little to prevent frost damage.  My boss has just lost a perfectly good 3.5 V8 in his Landrover with a 6" split in the block at the bottom of the water jacket......

Anorak moment...... Fuzz shows completely the wrong core plug style for that block in the video.

Nick

Top stuff modern RTV sealants for building engines. 

Other than the diffs slight 'wee' marks, the garage floor is still oil free after a decade.

Indeed.  It's the "moderns" that drop the oil on the drive here though in their defence the two culprits have almost half a million miles between them......

Nick