Vespa smallframe

GT6MK3

4 hours ago, GT6MK3 said:

Am now attacking the cowls upside down, using the seat bolt datums for reference.  This may or may no work out..

The technique is sound.  Some of the curves look disturbingly different side between the two sides........ that last pic.... :pinch:

May the force be with you!

Nick

Left the ram in the engine side cowl overnight, and after a bit of stretching, I was able to mark. drill and bolt the nose into place.

IMG_1579.jpg

The two curves were still a long way from correct though.

IMG_1580.jpg

Time to channel my Billy West

Use the clamps Clamps!

IMG_1582.jpg

Time to pull out a high tech solution - 3/16th nuts and bolts.

IMG_1585.jpg

These worked a treat!

IMG_1590.jpg

Isn't she pretty...

IMG_1596.jpg

Getting close now

IMG_1594.jpg

Starting to see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress...

The inner guards are once again set in place, squared up, and welded in

IMG_1627 (1).jpg

and with that, all it took was some slight relieving of the engine mount through holes for the outer shells to fit on perfectly.

IMG_1640.jpg

Whoohoo!  

After the test fit, off it all came to drill holes

IMG_1676.jpg

holes, 

IMG_1675.jpg

and more holes.

IMG_1674.jpg

One hundred and thirty three holes in total.

So, all the parts are now clamped with as many clamps as possible,

IMG_1677.jpg

Buffy's ready for a welding frenzy tomorrow afternoon.

So this afternoon went like this:

Clamp clamp clamp clamp

IMG_1681.jpg

Clamp clamp weld weld weld

IMG_1684.jpg

Weld weld weld weld

IMG_1689 (1).jpg

weld weld weld weld

IMG_1692.jpg

Weld weld weld weld weld weld weld

IMG_1693.jpg

Rest.

IMG_1694.jpg

Grinding starts tuesday...

Yep, she's getting there.  I'm learning a lot about the logic of monocoque structures, and it's fun, (except when it's not.  Like all motor projects!) .   The Italian designers are more reliable than the parcel senders, I suspect there's another plan coming there.

C.

Got 2 Spot welders - my handheld and Mat's floor mounted beast, but neither seem to be able to make a decent weld through weld through primer.  Given that steel in the spine is going to be in the wet and cold, I want the primer in place, so it's back to plug welds...

More work Friday arvo.

Finally figured out how to put the choke actuator back together.  Simple when it's done, harder when your looking in a box of bits.

IMG_1838.jpg

Then ran cables, lots of cables through the spine for use installing all the control cables and wiring later.

IMG_1841.jpg

That's 5 bicycle gear cables, 3 runs of lightweight balustrading cable and 4 runs of mig wire just in case.

Time for these two to be properly introduced.

IMG_1842.jpg

Some gentle squeezing on a well lit table with plenty of room in the middle of the factory to begin the process, with final measuring, marking and tweaking taking place.

IMG_1845.jpg 

Then a buttload of clamps...

IMG_1846.jpg

That many clamps adds a _lot_ of weight!.  Turning it over with all the clamps was tricky and took two of us, and we added a table clamp for stability

IMG_1847.jpg

Ready to start plug welding.

IMG_1848.jpg

The rule for plug welding is to double clamp every hole individually, and wind it up as hot as you dare.  Mating the thin legshield to the much thicker spine and getting good penetration is tricky.  I'd much rather risk a burn through and have to do a fair bit of grinding than not get good strong penetration.

Setting up the clamps every time, and doing it right means each of these welds takes about a minute of setup before the 3 to 5 seconds of bright light.

IMG_1849.jpg

So after a couple of hours of setup and measuring while clamping, welding just the two sides of the base took well over an hour. 

But after turning it over, it was good to see the strong penetration achieved.

IMG_1850.jpg

Next job will be to re clamp, and weld the front of the legshield.

IMG_1851.jpg

(Believe it or not, I need to buy another quite specific clamp before I do that).

But, Buffy's starting to look whole again.

IMG_1853.jpg

Progress.