Proctoscope

Chaps

I’m looking for an inexpensive proctoscope endoscope, both for car and DIY purposes, one with its own integrated light source and a USB connection to plug into either a smart phone or a laptop.  I bought a cheap one recently on ebay and it is... well, crap (if you will forgive the pun) - laughable picture quality and no way of determining which way is 'up'.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Paul

I bought a £10 one, and while it was a bit crap, it was unbelievably good for the price, when you consider the cost of a 'proper' endoscope (thousands).

Lots on Amazon, for more money,  inc. some standalone ones for 'only' £70 .    It would be nice if price told quality, but it doesn't these days.

John

The chinese sites like banggood are brilliant for these, a tenner will buy you an 1080p HD quality one, which is just mental for the size, i struggle keeping the lens from steaming up/getting dirty though.

We use a lot of very expensive ones at work (although John probably has better ones at his work), and unless you spend megabucks (last one i saw was tens of thousands), there is always compromises.

How do the medical ones keep their lenses clear in the medical ones @JohnD its a very wet environment the body?

Condensation occurs when an atmosphere loaded with water vapour meets a surface that is at a temperature less than the dew point.  In the body, any cavity accessible by an endoscope, even temporary ones, is rapidly warmed and humidified, until it contains air or gas that is aturated with vapour and as warm as the body.      Any endoscope is a heat channel to the outside, so cooler and water will condense on the end.     So there are many commercial antifog agents that are successfully used, and pre-warming devices, to keep the instument from cooling for longer have been used.    Windscreen antimist probably contains similar compounds and is worth a try.

But Mattius - what are you looking inside that isn't cold and dry?      There shouldn't be any water vapour inside an engine (Well, product of cobustion, yes, but not while you're bore scoping, unless you are most adventurous!).    Endoscopists have a 'dirt on the lens' problem too, but inside the body, they can and do wipe it off on a convenient internal surface.   Little opportunity for that in an engine.

The extra cost of medical scopes, and possibly high-end engineering ones, is in the optics and in their being steerable, and operable.    Controls at the user end allow the tip to be pointed in any direction, to allow inspection, and  channels in the scope allow instruments, graspers, cutters and suckers to be inserted and used under direct vision.     Some allow powerful lasers to be shone down, to cut and cauterise tissue.    All several leaps ahead of a ten quid camera on a string!

JOhn

PS Paul was quite right to correct himself - a 'proctoscope' is an instrument to inspect the anal canal, which is very short, so the tool is barely four inches long, and inspection and even operation are done using naked eyeball Mk1 capability.  Not an endocope!

Edited by JohnD

Steve

A good point, well made - currently soaking the bugger...

John, I too bought a ten quid one which is, as set out in the original post, faecal in quality.  Do you happen to have a link or reference for your good one?

Your PS reminds me of the Derek & Clive sketch about God's intention to mount a third eyeball on the end of the right index finger.  For easier inspection.

Paul

Anything in this field that only costs a tenner is unbelievably good for the price, compared to the pro-stuff!   That doesn't mean very good.     To borrow word from that old reprobate Dr.Johnson, who said on seeing a woman preaching in church, that she didn't need to be a good preacher, it was remarkable that she did it at all!

John (who is now in hiding from the Regiment of Women)

33 minutes ago, JohnD said:

John (who is now in hiding from the Regiment of Women)

It is the fate of the name:

John Knox's The First Blast of the Trumpet Against the Monstruous Regiment of Women may not have curried favour with our better halves either.

Even with the postage it is not too unreasonable.

During the 4A refurb I used a dental intra-oral camera that I got at a special introductory price from memory it would have been about $150AUD, and normally over twice that.

It couldn't reach in as far as the one shown and had to plug into a monitor or TV.

Thats similar to the one i have, works brilliant.

John, i don't tend to use it on the car too often, i more use it around the house, inside the walls in the bathroom etc.

The steering ones we have at work are just insane, some kinda black magic technology in them, they are tiny yet can control them so accurately.

But these ones are just insane for the price, £6, how do they make it for that.

https://www.banggood.com/3-in-1-6LED-Waterproof-Endoscope-Android-USB-Type-C-Borescope-Inspection-Camera-p-1152998.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN