Austin Mini A-series engine noise

triumphlux

Hi,

I restored my Mini for the 3rd time in 20 years. Its my classic to use during the winter and I did a few upgrades this time to try to keep up with the moderns.

The engine is a 1293 ccm which had been done 15 years ago (45.000 km) so we pulled it apart and fitted new shells, oil pump, timing chain etc.

It also got a flowed cylinderhead , high lift rockers, an LSD and adjustable suspension :banana:

From the first time I started the car it has a loud 'tapped' noise coming from the rear of the engine.

All the parts are sourced from a friend who builds A-series engines for 30 years and together we were unable to find the fault .....

We changed the rockers back to the original setup, no difference.

I checked without the rocker cover, no difference.

I took the valves springs from th last 4 valves off the check, everything is fine :craig:

I fitted new pushrods and screws, no difference.

The car goes really well and rews up to 5.500 without a problem.

So if you have any ideas what it could be, please let me know.

JC

20180113 (2).MOV

30Mb Symmetric, but I suspect I was trying to play streamed and it was encountering trouble decoding hence the time estimate.

Well actually I had gone off on a tangent after trying to track down a sharp tapping noise at the end of last season which turned out to be hole in collector in manifold, so was wondering as everything was running all right if it could be something stupid like blowing plug or manifold, hence half rpm or full rpm timing.

Alan 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, after much searching we didn't find out what was wrong ….. so we decided to drive the car and see what happens :rolleyes:

After less then 1.000 km it finally broke down late one evening with a load BANG …. 

The engine stopped itself and the gearlever linkage was stuck. So engine/gearbox out and dismantling to check what went wrong.

IMG_9524.thumb.JPG.e68cf4eb64420546629fec977002fe8d.JPG

A socket bouncing between gearbox and engine would probably not last as long :smile:

Nick is correct, the lower part of one cam follower broke into 3 pieces which got eventually smashed by the camshaft and fell into the gearbox housing …

broken_follower.png.6281352582f0ec3de1121152eff44297.png

cam_follower_block.png.19b0b44c0fac7503f8003daaefec9961.png

The damage is quite bad BUT not terminal. One piece got between the diff gear to gearbox gear so that needed to be changed and the gearbox housing has got a hole so that needed changing too :unsure:

The cam is toast as well as the timing gear!

timing_gear.png.d9a94ba3f4a924719f0a0953c0054072.png

You can also see that the follower got crashed by the cam to he engine block and that needed careful filing so that the upper part from the follower left would come out. But I managed to save the block and the new follower moves freely :biggrin:

We didn't change camshaft or followers as everything was (or seemed to be) in perfect condition. Less then 50.000 km in ten years on this engine.

We changed the bearing shells and oil pump as well as a new modified head.

Why it happened now I don't know.