Members' Chat from the oTR site

PeterC

28 minutes ago, TR5tar said:

Have you been appointed moderator over here too, Tom? :biggrin:

I replied but didn’t post!

i have been on here 10 years mate,!

just fed up of it all now and don’t see what good posting screenshots on here will do apart from continue the unrest....

anyway....... 

3 hours ago, tr4tom said:

just fed up of it all now and don’t see what good posting screenshots on here will do apart from continue the unrest....

I'm not sure why you are telling me that you have been a member here for 10 years, Tom. I wasn't suggesting that you had only just joined up. 

Anyhow, if you are fed up with it all, the best thing is not to add to it. We have a situation that has made a lot of people upset and nothing you say is going to change that. Just as nothing that those that are upset can say will change the situation.

Darren  

11 hours ago, tr4tom said:

Oh lordy... not another believer in time-served hierarchy.  I thought that was the preserve of the Other Place.

The trouble with being 'fed up' and wanting to stifle discussion is that it results in the sort of bollix that has just been promulgated by the Register.  The indifferent majority have allowed the agenda of a self-interested board to dictate terms for the active few, who enjoyed the broader terms of engagement available in the sub-forum now withdrawn.

And the farce is that they used the behaviour of of one non-member elsewhere in the forum to instigate a pre-planned action, under circumstances where the raciest and most ignorant/offensive comments regularly come from members of the TRR, who receive precious little rebuke or moderation.

Anyway, Peter's screen shot amply shows that the Members' Area is now dominated by 20 pages (twenty pages! sheesh...) of "who posts last..." - I think they are welcome to the depth of enlightening and informative discussion that that generates.

I'm a TR6 owner and I've met some great people through the Register forum.  But, being located 'overseas', this was the only benefit of coughing up forty-four quid every year - from my perspective, the TRR provided no other tangible benefit.  My membership has lapsed and it certainly will not be renewed.

As I said at the beginning of all this I'm not wanting Sideways to provide a home for TRR bashing.  I also said I though the demise of ATB was an odd decision and an own goal.  This remains my view.

Paul raises a very valid point about the importance of forums to club membership - not just the technical aspects, but social as well.  By limiting the social content to members only there is a serious risk of cutting the interest to "might-become-members" as well as making the remaining social element too insular for the long term health of the forum or club.

I am a Club Triumph member purely as a result, in the beginning, of their forum, which is pretty much entirely open to non-members.  It has resulted in many valued and lasting friendships. I wrote to the TSSC many years ago suggesting that they really ought to open at least some of their forum to non-members and was told, reasonably politely, to bog off.  They've done it now though......

Nick

I think the TRR made the wrong decision in removing AtB, for the reasons Nick states above, but it is their choice. Personally, I don't see it as a problem, as long as I can find the sort of forum I enjoy somewhere. People will gravitate to where the conversation, the people and the set up is most appealing. As I said over there, people who want freely accessible, lightly moderated banter along with the tech stuff can get it here, and the Register also "wins" in that it gets rid of those people that want that. Although, strangely, all the people who have come over to Sideways recently are those that I would consider the most easy going on the whole. 

Anyhow, I'm sure that many people will use both channels, taking what they want from each. That's market forces for you. 

Cheers, Darren

• 3 months later...

There's a thread running at the moment where I posted four questions about ZDDP, thus:

1. How do the classic oil suppliers know for certain that their modern low-ZDDP oils will protecting flat tappet

/valve train and ring/bores as well, or better, as the original high-ZDDP oils?

2. I note that an ACEA rating is meaningless as the requirement to test flat tappets has been dropped. Has in-engine testing been conducted?

3. Bearing in mind that many sportier classics have oprated cams/tappets how can such owners be convinced that the new formula 20/50 is up ot the job?

4. The TRA article justifies lowered-ZDDP as lead-mobilsing chemistries that also strip ZDDP films are no longer present in leadfree fuels. However, an emerging issue is the new petrols that contain aggressive surface-cleaning chemistries such as BP-Ultimate. How can owners be certain that classic engines run with a low-ZDDP classic oil be safe epxosed to agents in petrol that strip dirt films.Do classic oil suppliers know for certain that low-ZDDP oils are safe to run with these new petrols?  To my mind a petrol that accelerates stripping of deposited ZDDP films would need  a high-ZDDP oil to ensure adequate sacrifical ZDDP in the bulk to replace the film.

Feedback from ST forumites would be welcome !!

Item 4 was prompted by Alan Oldtuckerunder's white ev stems after running VR1 and BPUltimate . Anyone else seen white valve stems?

Peter

Edited by PeterC