Piston ring compressor

Hello All

I was wondering what type of ring compressor you all use?

I am a little way off that but would you believe it I have 4 ring compressors but non the right size(all to big)

I have had a browse to see what is about(not wanting to pay a lot!) and have seen these and cheap!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Engine-Piston-Ring-Compressor-Caliper-Ratchet-Pliers-Wrench-Remover-Kit/122897346623?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Then I saw these to expensive but I have a piece of steel bar about 4"o/d with about a 70mm hole in it about 1.5" long and a big lathe and thought I could make one of those?(Old Engineers are B***ers for that!)

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/workshop-equipment/arp-tapered-piston-ring-compressor

Thoughts? or talk me out of it!

Roger

ps any one into Motorcycles? saw this a few years ago, Its a KSS Velocette engine and gearbox in an Earles frame all Aluminium!(I have a Standard Velocette KSS)

DSCF1081.JPG

Edited by rogerguzzi

Roger,

The first is the type I use, but I 'wind' the rings onto the piston, using a feeler gauge.  Less stress IMHO on the ring.

The other is most interesting.   I saw that type being used in a video of Bentley engines being made, asked an engineer friend who has one that he made himself, if I could make one, in aluminium, as that would be possible on my little lathe.   These are in a 6000 grade alloy, with a high tensile strength, but my friend insisted that cast iron was more suitable, for its self lubricating properties, which isn't true of aluminium.      AND, those introducers are very costly!

John

I have several sizes of the first style which have always worked well, I always make sure that I give them a good lube with engine oil for smooth operation.

On the second sort, I like them, never had any but when I had to do the pistons on my old Hymac Excavator I found that none of my compressors were big enough. But I did have a piece of brown soil pipe with 100mm bore which was the correct size, so I just threw it in the lathe and bevelled out one end as a feed in, lubed then up dropped a piston in the top, the rings slid inside with a bit of manual squeezing and then just sat on cylinder block and tapped it down the bore, has to be the easiest stress free fitting I have done. 

Would I spend £75 on one? No, If I could knock one up easily? Yes.

Hello All

I Like the "introducers

Is that what all that club fuss was about?

I always slide the rings on with feeler gauges.

I think I will make an   introducer it sounds more technical than a piston ring compressor! I wonder what taper they use?

I suppose loose ring size at the top down to bore size at bottom?

I wish I had a taper turning attachment? It will be slow going using the compound slide at the right angle(still its not for profit! and I do like in house solutions)

I recon they only make them out of Aluminium because quick to machine and quick to wear out? I agree cast iron would be best or maybe hard chromed steel?

Roger

17 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Wear out?! How many are you going to fit?  Hardwood and bit of grease would probably do it.

Nick

Hello Nick

That is a thought I have some hard wood!

What do you think oak or elm or perhaps cherry?

Them I can put in the log burner to keep warm?

Roger

Hello All

I have made my Introducer!

I spent about 1.5hrs on it? I have tried it with an old piston and rings and it flies thought(0.020" smaller)

The rings go in the top uncompressed and its a 5.5deg taper with the last 0.250" straight and weighs a ton?

I Know I waste to much time on these things but I enjoy it????? and it beat Scuby Do puzzles etc!

I could have saved about 1/2hour by not maching the outside but then it would look rough?

Roger(The Balmy one!)

ps if anyone wants to use it just ask but the postage could be the killer it weighs 800g

I have now tried it with a new piston but old rings and it is Sooooo easy just a gentle push and its in as the Actress said to the Bishop!

All these years I have been messing with other types! limited I know.

Off to the pub now as I am getting frustrated as I can not find my NOS clutch as all is ready to balance now!

DSC06057.JPG

Edited by rogerguzzi

Wow!   What a success! I was impressed from the video at how easily the pistons went in, it seemed impossibly smooth and quick.    This has to be the way, but the Demon Tweeks  Prices item are in line with their usual style.

What are yours made from, Roger?   As I said, I was recommended cast iron, but DT's are aluminium, and yours "weighs a ton"!.

John

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

Wow!   What a success! I was impressed from the video at how easily the pistons went in, it seemed impossibly smooth and quick.    This has to be the way, but the Demon Tweeks  Prices item are in line with their usual style.

What are yours made from, Roger?   As I said, I was recommended cast iron, but DT's are aluminium, and yours "weighs a ton"!.

John

Hello John

Mild steel judging by the maching, I think ordinary Aluminium would be ok with lube!

Just look for a bit of tube the right size

Yes they just slide in! I was surprised how easy!

A bit of steam tube would do and keep weight down(not that I am putting in the tool kit!)

Is There a market I ask myself? B****r off at mates rate still to expensive unless its a trade?

Roger

ps Been to the local club and landlady told I had won a bottle of Champers on the Air Ambulance raffle so really happy if slightly drunk!

Edited by rogerguzzi

I'd love one, but doubt if my lathe and my lathe skills would be up to it.

Where did you find a piece of steel tube with an ID of less than 74.7mm, and wall at least 10mm thick?    Naval guns?

Don't know about mate's rates, but would you like another bottle of champagne?

John

Edited by JohnD

13 hours ago, JohnD said:

Where did you find a piece of steel tube with an ID of less than 74.7mm, and wall at least 10mm thick?    Naval guns?

John

Hello John

I have had a rummage and found a piece  steel 90mm o/d with about a 65mm i/d but it is only 24mm thick? and it has a step in one end of 80mm i/d x 3mm

I am not sure if this would do the job? I would need an old piston and rings to try(my pistons are to small)

But if you have a piston to send me I will have a go but no promises unless we can find a longer piece of steel,bronze,cast iron or aluminium.

Roger

pm will address for safety! if needed

Hello John

I have machined the other piece of metal(some sort of cast iron I think? chips like cast iron but no dust?)not that it matters a jot!

I had to make the taper a bit more course(10deg) to allow for the shorter length

I have tried them side by side and there seems to be B****er all difference

So when I get your piston I will just open up the first one at the bore end and it should be ok as I think the taper will still catch the uncompressed rings.

Roger

ps The down side is you will want to build an engine up just to use it!!!!!!! it is Soooo easy

DSC06060.JPG

DSC06063.JPG

DSC06064.JPG

Edited by rogerguzzi
Mk1 & Mk2

4 hours ago, thebrookster said:

Nice bit of work that!

We use introducers on the ship as well, I will have to take a photo for you now. Just a slightly different scale (although doing an identical job).

Phil

Hello Phil 

Some what larger I imagine? and I bet this is only a little one?

Roger

2_full.png

On 28/01/2018 at 11:34 PM, JohnD said:

John

Hello John

I have received your old piston my goodness it has had a hard life?

When I have got my crank and pistons back I will install my pistons and re machine the larger one to suit your piston(only a few thou difference)

Then when its not being used you could use it as a door stop!!

Roger

ps as to payment all I want is postage back and a donation to a worthy charity  does that sound fair? 

51 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Absolutely, Roger!   Do you have a favourite, or would mine do?

Help for Heroes https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAiA5OrTBRBlEiwAXXhT6BoE4HBQT5jMYaWiGdX2NOOMKGW0xmzIoLAekdGVHRlnu8hbvU5CzBoCCE4QAvD_BwE

And if you will let me know the postage when you know, I'll repay you at once - PayPal?

John

Hello John

Yes that is fine it is one of the ones I give to.

I may have it done by next week if not it will 2 weeks later as we are on holiday to Morocco(I wonder how many camels I could get for the Memsahib ?)

Roger

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2018 at 5:24 AM, rogerguzzi said:

Hello Phil 

Some what larger I imagine? and I bet this is only a little one?

Roger

2_full.png

Heck, Roger, she's a baby!!

This trip is something of a learning curve for me, as I am sailing with the newest engines I have come across onboard. Our Main Engine is the MAN "G" series ultra long stroke slow speed engine, where the stroke is 3.72m, bore is 80cm, and 7 cylinders total. Power output for normal use is just under 22000KW (29000bhp).

Earlier we were slow steaming to match another ship, we had the engine running at 15 rpm. 61 rpm is max speed. Takes some getting used to, slowest I have sailed on for sure!

Anyway, back on subject, included should be an image of one of our spare liners, with the introducer in front.

IMG_20180212_145615-652x1159.jpg

Cheers,

Phil

Edited by thebrookster