bank account madness

PeterC

I dont trust on-line banking so this devleopment looks like lunacy to me:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42655716

hackers will have a field day. And as bank losses mount, what are the chances that the account holder will be given the onus of proving they were not to blame.

And when https is cracked by quantum computers, maybe just a few years away, the entire digital banking edifice will fail.

Now , where's that old mttress .....

Peter

Nor mine.

The problem is that often the intro screens have a big "click to continue" button to get to the account screens, but often this also permits something to changeĀ  your set up - e.g. going paperless. Everyone is going to have to check the wording of these screens very carefully before just clicking through.

HTTPS was cracked a few years back no one ever expected how simple that would be, just like no one ever expected you could hack the processor interface layer like Spectre and meltdown...

That is the big problem with allowing data to be shared, is banks have some of the most secure systems know to exist, third party companies do not, it only takes a small lapse in judgement or coding to leave a gaping hole in a computer system, look at what happened to the NHS last year, not applying security updates/upgrading cost them dear.Ā 

Allowing any company other that those with an interest in keeping your data as secure as possible (aka a bank) is a very dangerous game.

Then there is the ethics of it all, big data is a good thing (i develop the systems that store it), however what people do with that data has ethical issues, i.e. whats to stop insurance companies accessing your financial data finding out you bought a packet of cigarettes and putting your premium up? or your employer accessing your data finding out about your dodgy trip to amsterdam...

Finally, the more places the data is the more chance of people abusing it, the biggest threat to any company is an insider threat and employee with a grudge, who will look up their friends data, sell it to people, put it online...

There is some complete lack of common sense gone into this bill...

Getting rid of the charges is a good thing, however companies just bypass it, just eat have just changed the name of it from Card Processing Charge to Service charge...

It is a worrying, but unsurprising, development. Unfortunately Peter, I'm not sure that there will be any cash around in the near future for you to put under the mattress. If you've not seen this film, take a look ...

Ā  Ā  Cheers, Darren

Thanks Matt for the expert insight. Relieved to know its not just me being a digital luddite. I was wary of PayPal unitl it was pointed out to me that sending credit card details to sundry sellers was more of a vulnerability. Now I don't shop unless there's a PP checkout.

Darren Its an hour long, will watch tonight.Ā 

I have an uneasy feeling that the whole digital economy and infrastructure could go t*ts up. A massive power surge maybe...the next Carrington event. Once the UPSs run down they wont be recharged for weeks while grid trasformers are replaced, or even built new...Ā Ā  Cash will be king, or water and food

Ā 

Peter

Ā 

19 hours ago, PeterC said:

Thanks Matt for the expert insight. Relieved to know its not just me being a digital luddite. I was wary of PayPal unitl it was pointed out to me that sending credit card details to sundry sellers was more of a vulnerability. Now I don't shop unless there's a PP checkout.

Darren Its an hour long, will watch tonight.Ā 

I have an uneasy feeling that the whole digital economy and infrastructure could go t*ts up. A massive power surge maybe...the next Carrington event. Once the UPSs run down they wont be recharged for weeks while grid trasformers are replaced, or even built new...Ā Ā  Cash will be king, or water and food

Ā 

Peter

Ā 

Peter

In a similar vein, Bitcoin... oh lordy!Ā  A rather wordy background and cautionary tale, courtesy of the ever-engaging Mr MoneyMustache:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2018/01/02/why-bitcoin-is-stupid/

Paul

If your looking at Bitcoin you are too late, i know a few people who have made a decent amount off them (my mate at work just cashed in for Ā£13k) but thats because they "mined" the coins in the early days when the Blockchain was small enough to be processable by a desktop computer. Buying now is lunacy, but people are doing it because they heard the rumour people got rich, it will be these people who loose the little money they cannot afford unfortunately.

A lot of companies are very good with big data, mainly because it would be catastrophic for business to be caught out, your amazon, paypal, google checkout etc, along with your big back end players like RSA and VeriSign.

On 13/01/2018 at 3:21 PM, PeterC said:

I dont trust on-line banking so this devleopment looks like lunacy to me:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42655716

hackers will have a field day. And as bank losses mount, what are the chances that the account holder will be given the onus of proving they were not to blame.

And when https is cracked by quantum computers, maybe just a few years away, the entire digital banking edifice will fail.

Now , where's that old mttress .....

Peter

Peter

Like you, i find it incomprehensible that anyone would allow a business, access to their financial data.

People seem to forget that any business interested in their financial position, wants only one thing, your money.

Honest people and honest businesses will always work together

We have always managed to work together in the past, so why do we now have to do it in microseconds?

Unlike you, IĀ do, through necessity, use on line banking.

We have been scammed once and the bank was great.Ā 

We have limits set with our banks, so that with ANY outgoing of more than Ā£100, we get a text message.

With thisĀ scam, the money never left our account.Ā  The bank just cancelled the debit card and sent out a replacement.

All done and dusted in 4 working days.

2 hours ago, Janner said:

Peter

Like you, i find it incomprehensible that anyone would allow a business, access to their financial data.

People seem to forget that any business interested in their financial position, wants only one thing, your money.

Honest people and honest businesses will always work together

We have always managed to work together in the past, so why do we now have to do it in microseconds?

Unlike you, IĀ do, through necessity, use on line banking.

We have been scammed once and the bank was great.Ā 

We have limits set with our banks, so that with ANY outgoing of more than Ā£100, we get a text message.

With thisĀ scam, the money never left our account.Ā  The bank just cancelled the debit card and sent out a replacement.

All done and dusted in 4 working days.

Janner,

My digital ludditism extends to never having sent or received a text message....lack of a mobile signal at home partly to blame for that.

My mobile phone is used maybe a half dozen times a year...

Ā 

Ā 

22 hours ago, PeterC said:

Janner,

My digital ludditism extends to never having sent or received a text message....lack of a mobile signal at home partly to blame for that.

My mobile phone is used maybe a half dozen times a year...

Ā 

Ā 

Peter

That isn't Ludditism.Ā  That is a level of communication nirvana that is well worth aspiring to...

Paul

I have used the mob once when I really needed it. At IWE last year in my tent at near midnight I could not raise Isy back home on the land line, After an hour I decided she must be in trouble. So rang her daughter, s-i-l, grandsons on their 4 mobile smart whotsits - all switched off. And their land line had been taken out. So rang our neighbours 1 mile away, who drove round to wake up a very surprised Isy. Not sure which wins, mobile or landline but hardly a clear win for either.

Can mobile phones work when charging ?

Peter