Sign in to follow this  
TR5tar

Calling PeterC ... Vit D

One for Peter, but might well interest others. 

With all the talk of flu going round in the UK, I've started thinking about taking vitamin D (D3?) to help ward it off. Is it 2000IU daily that you take, Peter? 

Cheers, Darren

Edited by TR5tar

23 minutes ago, TR5tar said:

One for Peter, but might well interest others. 

With all the talk of flu going round in the UK, I've started thinking about taking vitamin D (D3?) to help ward it off. Is it 2000IU daily that you Peter? 

Cheers, Darren

Hi Darren,

Yes 2000 IU per day keeps me at a blood level of 100nmol/L.

This is the level these Torontt GPs found effective:

image.png.3cd430d35d0ddd8bcf98f02d182634f6.png

However if your level is low it will take 2 to 3 months to bring it up to that level. That is why the Toronto GPs sued a 'hammer' It ensures the D3 rapidly saturates the storage in body fat allowing blod leve to increase promptly. Amost impossibelto overdose- the stuff you take has to be activated in liver and then kidney and that pathway is self limiting..

The danger with the 'hammer' is for those rare souls with an alllergy to D£ or the capsules. I know I'm not allergic and would sues the hammer if a really nasty infection took over my lungs.

You can get your blood 25(OH)D3 measured  through the post for £28 by City Labs Birmingham - takes the guesswork out of it.

D3 has very widespread benfcicail effects, so much so that I'm giving a talk to the local U3A in a couple of weeks. Will post it on my blog then. 60% of Uk seniors are inadequate, probably 80-90% by Canadian/USA criteria !!

cheers

Peter