Sign in to follow this  
TR5tar

Question about steering noise

A couple of years back I let one of my boys have a 2006 Peugeot 207 that used to belong to my father. OK, it's not really a "modern" car now, but it was in good condition (having only done about 20k). My son ran it for a while, but in the summer of last year he bought himself something a bit more racy. I thought he would sell the Peugeot, but he kept it parked on his driveway as a spare. Anyhow, despite what I told him, he hasn't run it for several months, and now it has problems ... no surprise there. 

When I looked it over, I found the battery completely dead and two tyres completely flat. Anyhow, I've charged the battery and pumped the tyres up ... using a jack to lift the car so I could get them to hold pressure. With the battery charged, I was surprised and pleased to find the car started immediately, especially as no new fuel has gone in it in about 6 months.  As I thought would be the case, the brakes were slightly seized, but it didn't take long for the rubbing sound to disappear. What is of concern is a sound coming from the steering. It's a light grinding sound, but it only seems to occur about half way through the travel to full lock. Could it just be a bit dry and the sound will disappear with use, or is it likely something more serious? My son says the sound wasn't there when he last drove the car. 

Cheers, Darren   

Edited by TR5tar

Thanks Peter. I'll look at doing what you suggest. It needs an MOT anyway, so the garage should be able to tell me what the problem is. 

Cheers, Darren