At the Bar news from the Membership Director

That's great news. 

I had a similar response from my Area Director, and of course Paul Hogan has taken the time and trouble to respond on the forum, via pm and email to many members that have written to him directly.

Let's hope that the Board will take all the comments posted on the TRR forum on why they joined the TRR, what they want from the club and any forum, and of course the result of the poll seriously.

Rod

That's good to hear, but I do have serious doubts that it'll be reinstated exactly as it was before, if it is at all.  Fingers crossed. 

Either way, it's good to find this forum and meet new friends.

Cheers, Darren

Edited by TR5tar

There is a problem when one party in a relationship does something that harms the other. The relationship may not end but it will forever be different. I would not have been that offended if they had closed ATB and moved everything to the Member Chat forum, requiring TR Reg membership to access it. That would remove the anonymity aspect and discourage the worst of the crap.

It was also highly suspicious that after some bad stuff was posted in one of the technical forums they closed ATB. That just smells like a setup and someone pursuing an agenda.

The final straw was they closed ATB, selectively moved some content into the members chat forum, deleted other content including some of mine. That pissed me off.

Stan

Hi Stan, I'm sorry you are feeling pi**ed off by the loss of your post on ATB.  I and the rest of the TR board  had nothing to do with the selection of what moved across and what didn't.  I will see what I can do to get at least some of the posts reinstated if that's technically possible.   If its any consolation, I lost most  if not all of my own posts too so there was no favouritism being shown. All I can say for now for anyone reading this thread is to have some patience and cut me some slack so that I can try to rectify the situation.

Hoges.

1 hour ago, Hoges said:

I and the rest of the TR board  had nothing to do with the selection of what moved across and what didn't.

Hoges.

So who did decide, Paul?  It is difficult to believe that the selection was arbitrary and it has needlessly hacked off quite a few people.

As has been observed in the other place, considerable research, time and effort has been arbitrarily - and discourteously - erased.  Not the act of a benevolent and member-focused club.

Paul

19 minutes ago, PaulAA said:

So who did decide, Paul?  It is difficult to believe that the selection was arbitrary and it has needlessly hacked off quite a few people.

As has been observed in the other place, considerable research, time and effort has been arbitrarily - and discourteously - erased.  Not the act of a benevolent and member-focused club.

Paul

That is an important question.  I don't really have alot more to say on this as I said it already at the beginning of the other thread, but this goes to the root of the original problem.  It's the arbitrary removal of complete threads without adequate (or any) explanation that caused bad feeling, without demonstrating any boundaries.   "Tidying up" needs to be done with more sensitivity - just hitting "delete thread" won't cut it!  Therefore those doing the moderating need to be of the right mindset.  Also, those (few) who misbehave need to be dealt with.  Members or not, they are all old enough to know better.  However, if the tone is right and boundaries are clear you are much less likely to get problems in the first place. 

Nick

I lost many long threads  in AtB that I used to update -sometimes after a year or so break. Science is a moving feast, and so are iceland volcanos. Ephemera are for F/b and twitter, a forum surely should have a longer half life, with long term continuity re-inforcing members' affinties ? Am really p*sed off with TRR board. Hoges excepted.

This is great site for those fascinated with auto-engineering modificaitions. And ST looks like a club. A club with a strong free speech ethos.

Peter

I suspect that whoever was ordered to pull the shutters down on the bar was only allowed a limited time in which to do so & only migrated what he could in the given time. Not an excuse for what happened & of course this begs the question on why it had to be done so fast and with no consultation.

Dave

From the discussions I've had with Hoges regarding the removal of AtB, I am confident that he is taking our upset seriously and that he will review the situation. However, we have to keep in mind that as Chairman he only has a casting vote, and so unless there are equal numbers for and against reinstatement he will not get a vote at all and have no power over what will or won't be done.

I absolutely understand the upset and anger felt by those that put lots of effort into that forum. Stan sums up the feeling perfectly for me. 

We've had a great welcome on this forum and it is packed with interesting threads, so I'll be enjoying it here whatever happens. 

Cheers, Darren 

Paul also took the time & trouble to contact me regarding me about comments I made on the other forum  & as Darren has said it appears he is taking our concerns seriously.

Whether the other board members will reconsider their decision remains to be seen.

In my view it seems that, as the board is elected to run the organisation on our behalf, that agendas & minutes o board meetings are not made available to members so that they can have some input.

I realize that if this involved outside suppliers it could lead to commercial confidentiality issues but those parts could be redacted,

Dave

18 minutes ago, Dave M said:

Paul also took the time & trouble to contact me regarding me about comments I made on the other forum  & as Darren has said it appears he is taking our concerns seriously.

Whether the other board members will reconsider their decision remains to be seen.

In my view it seems that, as the board is elected to run the organisation on our behalf, that agendas & minutes o board meetings are not made available to members so that they can have some input.

I realize that if this involved outside suppliers it could lead to commercial confidentiality issues but those parts could be redacted,

Dave

Hi Dave, 

I'm not sure that it is possible to view the agenda set for a board meeting, but you can view the minutes if you wish. However, to do so, you'll have to give notice to the office and take a trip to Didcot HQ, as that is the only place where the minutes can be read. That's not such a  problem for those that live near Didcot, but for those living further afield it seems a bit unfair. 

Darren

I'm not a member of the TR R, or of it's forum.  I have no affiliation, no axe to grind, no real care. I offer this as purely technical advice.

The software platform the TR R forum runs on is IPBoard, the same as we run here.  It looks different because it's skinned differently.  It may be an earlier version (I could work to find out, but see sentence 1...).

I've installed, administered, and moderated IPBoard for over 10 years.

Hiding or moving threads is a doddle.  Wholesale moving/hiding entire sections ditto. 

If stuff selectively disappeared, an admin or mod chose what went.  If wholesale sections disappeared, ditto.  Someone has to chose what goes, what stays, and what gets hidden.

Where is it now?  It may be just hidden, or it may be deleted.  Their backup strategy will be of interest if deletions have taken place.

Ones and Zeros don't just turn to smoke.  Someone has to chose to reset them.

C.

4 hours ago, Hoges said:

Hi everyone, from what I can gather, the old posts are hiding in cyberspace somewhere. They are not lost but not viewable either. I am trying to see what I can do to resolve this.

hoges.

Thanks Hoges. It would be great to get access to some of those threads if we can. 

Cheers, Darren