Sign in to follow this  
TR5tar

Straight razors

Like many classic car owners I suspect, I like to collect things.

For several years now, I've been collecting and restoring straight razors, a few from the late 1800s. Anyhow, this video shows my collection as it was three years ago. It's grown since then, but I've not yet got around to making an updated film. Hopefully it'll be of interest.

this might be a surprise to you Darren but my great grandfather was a barber and I still have some of his razors somewhere which if I can find them you are welcome to them.

hoges.

Interesting collection and some of them very beautiful.  I find these things really quite scary as they are so damn sharp...... and intended to be scraped over your neck where the "big pipes" are :blink:

Nick

3 hours ago, Hoges said:

this might be a surprise to you Darren but my great grandfather was a barber and I still have some of his razors somewhere which if I can find them you are welcome to them.

hoges.

Thanks Hoges. That's a really kind offer, which I'll take you up on if you do find them. Much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

Interesting collection and some of them very beautiful.  I find these things really quite scary as they are so damn sharp...... and intended to be scraped over your neck where the "big pipes" are :blink:

Nick

Hi Nick, 

I must admit when I first started out using a straight my hand was a bit shaky, but now I don't give it a second thought. And in all the years I've been using them I've never cut my face or neck. I did cut my thumb once, being careless, but it was only minor.   My father was always a bit nervous of them, but mainly because he said that people used to carry them at his school as weapons.  It must have been a good school ... approved I reckon :biggrin:

Last year, antiques hunting, I found a set of two Mappin & Webb razors in a coromandel wooden box. Both the box and the razors were in a poor state, but I've now nearly completed the restoration. 

Cheers, Darren