Hello from Warsaw

PaulAA

On 08/01/2018 at 8:29 AM, PaulAA said:

Thank you, chaps.  Crystal clear and hovering around -6deg here this morning.  Shame that a touch of pneumonia has kiboshed the idea of a wake-up blast in the '6.

Cheers

Paul

Paul, Good to see you here. And it looks like youve not been taking your Vitamin D3:

image.png.3c1c7b45725030eafd006f71abecca57.png

I take 2000 IU per day and my serum 25(OH)D3 was 100nmol/litre after three months.

Have never tried that 'hammer' but it could be risky for aye with an allergy.

Dont take D2

Peter

Thanks, Peter.  Whilst it is unquestionably a powerful defence against 'flu, I'm not sure that D3 is adequately preventative against pneumonia.  Indeed, it certainly caught me by surprise and for the first four days I treated it as I would the 'flu... until I ended up as an in-patient.  It's an insidious bugger - two weeks down the line and I'm still on antibiotics and I'm bushed after barely more than a couple of hours' work.

Paul

On 09/01/2018 at 9:27 PM, PaulAA said:

Thanks, Peter.  Whilst it is unquestionably a powerful defence against 'flu, I'm not sure that D3 is adequately preventative against pneumonia.  Indeed, it certainly caught me by surprise and for the first four days I treated it as I would the 'flu... until I ended up as an in-patient.  It's an insidious bugger - two weeks down the line and I'm still on antibiotics and I'm bushed after barely more than a couple of hours' work.

Paul

Paul , D3 has a general activation of the immune sytem, so it will hlep fight off any bug, bacetrial or viral. Lots of summarised info here:

https://www.vitamindwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page_id=1324

If I had a bad bout of any lung infection I'd use that 'D3 hammer' as I know I'm not allergic to the capsules.

Lots of info on the very wide spectrum of effects of D3 on that site. Its a hormone that controls expression of several huderd genes.

And we are at our lowest  levels at this time of the year unless we supplement, which is why bugs circulate more in winter.

D3 science has exploded in past two decades, now 5000 papers per year, but medics still largely in the dark to science advancing so fast.

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Roger

Likewise - I'm here for the inappropriate behaviour.

In the meantime, I took full advantage of the window of opportunity this weekend, between the final sign off from the quack (and hence SWSBO) and the arrival of a disappointingly large amount of snow this morning to get a good few km under the belt in the '6 on Saturday and Sunday.  Hovering around zero, rictus grin freeze-dried onto the chops and it was absolutely, unquestionably, indisputably brilliant.  Finished off with a 10pm blast of tomfoolery through the centre of town and finally, finally, received admiring waves from strangers of the female persuasion!

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Well, thank you, chaps!

It's not quite so witheringly cold here today... a refreshing -10degC and so rather warmer than the startling -23degC we had earlier in the week.  In these temperatures, this week's snowfall on the terrace has been a useful example of sublimation for the teenage scientists at home - 6cm on Thursday and nothing today.

But sadly, there is so much dry salt on the roads that the '6 is staying put in the garage.

Paul