Honda CR-V as our boat hauling 'get it done'-car

MennoR

We own a Honda CR-V. For years USA's best sold Compact SUV according to data I found on the web. Au contrair to what we see here in Holland. Hardly any Honda's sold overhere - especially the CR-V is a rare sight. Strange, because the car is very sturdy and the 2.2ltr 155 hp / 6 speed manual is more than capable of towing the boat trailer (one of my sons sails a dinghy and I haul a RIB to the venues every weekend during Spring, Summer and Fall). It's not the weight of the trailer+boat that's a problem. Often we need to pull the boat from the water, using a slippery ramp. That's when a 4x4 comes in handy!

After 100K kms/66K miles, things are like they were when the car left te factory. The only thing showing it's age is the older style sat nav. Newer cars have an 'entertainment-oriented'-like tablet on the dash, where the older CR-V has to suffer from(...) a smaller satnav screen. Not that I mind, though.

Menno

IMG_2397.JPG

IMG_2399.JPG

Hi Menno, my wife recently traded her 2007 CRV (with under 15kmiles on it) for a 2017 Ford Escape 2ltr ecoboost. The Escape is a lot more fun to drive, slightly reminiscent of our early 80's XR3 i which I loved. A always thought the CRV was gutless and I'm surprised it could pull a boat but perhaps the later models got more horses.

Stan

Ha! Off course I don't drive US cars very often, but most of the time I get the impression the other way around. But then, it are rentals and mostly the lower end of the range. 

We drove a Buick Envision for two weeks in Orlando. I'd hoped for a larger car, but Alamo's stock was limited when we arrived on Christmas Day. The Buick was not the fastest kid on the block... perhaps because of the 2ltr engine? A rather lazy car. (Assuming it wasn't the 2.5ltr). In either case, my first Chinese-built car experience!

The bigger cars like your F150 look as if they have enough grunt. Point is that Dutch government kills of every petrol head's plans with draconical taxes when you try to buy a nice, powerful car. I had my share of "Oh, if this car was sold in Holland..." for two weeks. On top of my list (looks-wise that is, I don't nothing about the tech specs):

Toyotas: Highlander and above, Nissan Armada Chevy Suburban just to name a few. Sadly, none of these is sold in NL. My hopes are high for the next holiday in the US: my wife has to do a course on an Uni near you in 2019. So we're planning for a 3+ weeks trip: she at the Uni and for me cruising around in a nice car for at least 3 weeks!

Menno

43 minutes ago, MennoR said:

Ha! Off course I don't drive US cars very often, but most of the time I get the impression the other way around. But then, it are rentals and mostly the lower end of the range. 

We drove a Buick Envision for two weeks in Orlando. I'd hoped for a larger car, but Alamo's stock was limited when we arrived on Christmas Day. The Buick was not the fastest kid on the block... perhaps because of the 2ltr engine? A rather lazy car. (Assuming it wasn't the 2.5ltr). In either case, my first Chinese-built car experience!

The bigger cars like your F150 look as if they have enough grunt. Point is that Dutch government kills of every petrol head's plans with draconical taxes when you try to buy a nice, powerful car. I had my share of "Oh, if this car was sold in Holland..." for two weeks. On top of my list (looks-wise that is, I don't nothing about the tech specs):

Toyotas: Highlander and above, Nissan Armada Chevy Suburban just to name a few. Sadly, none of these is sold in NL. My hopes are high for the next holiday in the US: my wife has to do a course on an Uni near you in 2019. So we're planning for a 3+ weeks trip: she at the Uni and for me cruising around in a nice car for at least 3 weeks!

Menno

If you will be in the Boston area next year let me know.

American made cars, even rental cars, have gotten much better in recent years although I usually head for the intermediate cars like a Nissan Altima or the Ford Escape. It was my experience with a week with an Escape as a rental car that encouraged me to look at them when the CRV was ready to go. Debbie loved the CRV but was missing all the toys that the new cars have.

Stan