Sign in to follow this  
foster461

TR3 in the snow, well sort of..

At first I thought ???? :huh:  Then I saw it.  Like it! 

The snow..... not so much.  We don't often get it here in south west England

Nick

When the 6 was my daily driver I found it quite good in snow, better than front wheel drives going uphill. Now it has stiffer , lower suspension and rar it wont even go up a slight gradient on grass, so snow is now no-go

Peter

Hi Folks,

Here's some photos of TuRK (my 58 TR3A) being used a daily diver by the second owner, Dudley Ings (June 59 - July 67) in Scotland for Christmas in 1960 - he says it handled the snow pretty well.  :cool:

Cheers

Andrew

30900095421_ae423768f1_o.jpg

30900096741_7aaf8f537c_o.jpg

30953129346_68572498cd_h.jpg

36928101406_9ea0d56001_o.jpg

Those are great pictures Andrew. I'm still trying to get some period pictures of my TR3 from the PO.

My TR6 has seen its share of snow but I wait until the roads dry out before I take it on the public roads. The town is very efficient at plowing the streets and the dry air means moisture evaporates very quickly so the roads are dry within 24 hours of a blizzard like the one this week.

DSC_0010-X3.jpg

Hi Stan,

Good to meet 'old friends' in new 'bars' :biggrin: - this is the only photo I have of TuRK in the snow during my ownership taken December 2010 during a rewire...............I live about 500' above sea level and at the top of a hill surrounded by hilly bits, so whilst I TuRK can drive down the hill getting back up is a different proposition for the old girl.....:confused:

22449_1212431306127_524170_n.jpg

Excellent pic  of the TR in the snow that started this thread  and thanks for posting your pics too Andrew. Sadly I now keep my car in the garage during winter as having run it for two years on our salted roads it didn't take long for the rust bug to rear its ugly head again.

Best to all on here, Hoges

My TR3 has been in the snow but not with me!  The previous owner did the Monte Challenge in '91 & '92 and sent me some pics.. OK there's not a lot on the road! However the car also appears in a video of the '91 event and there was a serious amount of snow that year.

I found my TR6 excellent in the snow (possibly helped by the large toolkit I always carried in the boot!

Monte snow.jpg

Monte snow2.jpg

Monte 1.jpg

Hello  All

Only a poor relation but we did take Spitty out in the snow hood down! to a good mates funeral a few weeks ago.

When we came out of the crematorium it had snowed again so we pulled the tonoue back and brushed bit of the snow off and set off for the wake.

What had not done was brush the snow off the boot so when we got to about 40 MPH the snow was being stirred up and blown into the cockpit! that was a first!

But I had my WW2 flying helmet on so all was ok.

Later another friend said do you not feel a prat wearing a flying helmet? so I gave him a look and for F***ks sake We are in an open top sports car and it is snowing we can not look any sillier!

But we gave our old mate a good send off so I do not care laugh all you want! and it made me feel F***ing good and YOUNG again

We all give in to easily ! and we are a long time dead and as far as I am  concerned this is not a rehearsal!

Roger the daft bat but happy

DSC05809.JPG

DSC05816-001.JPG

DSC05818.JPG

DSC05811-001.JPG

Good on you, Roger!  

I think more people should wear flying helmets.  I bought Ben a rather nice sheepskin lined Motalita one when he first got the TR3.  Last year at the TRR IWE I managed to find myself a cream kid leather one.  I'm chuffed to bits with it, and boy, don't they make a difference..........soooo snugly and warm.  Yes, I look a complete tit in in, but I am a complete tit and proud of it, so who cares!

How did your Spitty behave on the snow?  Mine was like Bambi on ice unless I had 50kgs of animal feed in the boot.

Vicky x

Love it, i've had the spitfire out in the snow a couple of times, it worked much better than my BMW although that was when the spit was running stock wheels, it doesn't move in the snow now with the wider wheels.

Reminds me of a couple of years ago when an old friend and his buddys came up north and then headed up to the Ski slopes in a Diablo, 355 and 550! :o Mentalists!12744538_10154308994240715_1823734299396836730_n.jpg.c435fb992f065a8d90a7e8269ed8d74b.jpg