Sign in to follow this  
mattius

What have we done! Home renovation

I've been a bit quiet for the last few months because we finally bought a house and sold two flats after many many months of fighting with solicitors and government departments!

Why oh why did we buy a big old house is the question i keep asking myself! Seeing friends moving in to new build houses which look like hotels often has me wondering at the moment.

The Mrs turned up on the first day with a paint brush, i turned up with a sledge hammer!

IMG_20171008_150930.thumb.jpg.96a2333929d8e241681339a2b0141980.jpg

This was our bathroom for weeks

Walls made of dust, wiring cowboy'd too look modern and plumbing which hadn't been changed since the house was built! Its been a fun 3 months but we finally made it in just before Christmas.

On the plus side we have a house most people dream of with all the original features, we also now thanks to having to re-wire the whole place have a house full of tech which makes me happy (600m of Cat7 cable later).

I am now a broken man though, i've lost over 2 stone in weight, currently layed up with torn shoulder ligaments... and still 3 rooms, 20 windows and a roof to renovate...its a long haul...

Been there, done that, a few times, still got the scar's. Now have a partner who screams if I drill a hole in a wall in the house, mind you can't blame her after living in a huge Victorian Farm House that had acres of wood panelling that needed sandblasting, stone mullion windows that were rotting and needed cutting out and remaking, and acres of lathe and plaster ceiling and walls that needed removing, whilst she lived in it!   On the last move the stipulation was that the house didn't need any work after she moved in, but I could do what I liked outside with the outbuildings!

After 12 years I get the odd complaint about maybe this or that needs doing in the house, but all I have to do is suggest that if we do that, we may as well rip that out and... funny seems that often things don't really need doing :yes:  Although finally did relent and redo Kitchen last year!

Alan

You're a brave man Matt (or something like that).  Not taken on a project on that scale myself.  We did do quite large extension at our last house which I did the kitchen and bathroom for (no 2 son arrived right in the middle of that one) and I did a big kitchen project last year that ate most of my summer.  Depressing thing about that was uncovering all the layers of shoddy work done by a succession of "professionals".  There must be some decent tradesmen out there somewhere, but I don't think any of them have worked in this house (with the exception of the guy who plastered my kitchen ceiling who did a fine job, on time and at the quoted price).

A whole house though... wah!  Making me bones ache just thinking about it!  Take it steady and don't burn yourself out!

Can we have some "after" pics now please?

Nick

18 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

You're a brave man Matt (or something like that).  Not taken on a project on that scale myself.  We did do quite large extension at our last house which I did the kitchen and bathroom for (no 2 son arrived right in the middle of that one) and I did a big kitchen project last year that ate most of my summer.  Depressing thing about that was uncovering all the layers of shoddy work done by a succession of "professionals".  There must be some decent tradesmen out there somewhere, but I don't think any of them have worked in this house (with the exception of the guy who plastered my kitchen ceiling who did a fine job, on time and at the quoted price).

A whole house though... wah!  Making me bones ache just thinking about it!  Take it steady and don't burn yourself out!

Can we have some "after" pics now please?

Nick

Hello Nick

As my sons father in laws says If they can do the job tomorrow they are either very expensive or no good!

All the goodish people are usually busy for months(there are exceptions of course)

The other down side is they ALL work on anything between 10 to 25% wastage!(ie they can not be bothered to pick up half a brick to see if it fits just cut another etc )

Plus they do not pass on the trade discount!

So it is a win win situation for them(it will take you longer but there will be enough money over for a good holiday or another Triumph!)

Roger

ps its the same with car repairs!

Ignore the mess but here is that same corner of the bathroom now:

MVIMG_20180106_104142.thumb.jpg.ee4e08d1c013819a178dfa4f4b455e05.jpg

Its quite true, trades are impossible to manage, i actually prefer doing most of it myself as i find arranging and managing the pro's infuriating, they either don't show up or rip you off or the good ones are just never available. Saying that once you have a rapour with the good ones they are very accommodating.

I've done most things before, about the only thing i don't do is plaster a room its just not worth it, takes me twice as long and with twice as much mess. Handily the Mrs' old boy is an electrician which was a godsend given what we found.

Here was one of the better rooms before and after:

received_10156959813318976.jpeg.7b032fc570ad72745d3e2bfc6c3903e6.jpeg

received_10156959807473976.thumb.jpeg.8de90b6fec8d8a90dfeb04aae47e024c.jpeg

And if you ever wandered what Cat7'ing an old house looks like, answer a mess! (much tidier now)

IMG_20171009_190927.thumb.jpg.976815bc030ca4937bff4ebccfb407e7.jpg

Well, that's a transformation!  Serious progress is being made.  As for the Cat 7........ we have nothing more high tech than wifi.  Good enough for internet telly now that the village or some of it) has finally got superfast broadband

Nick

Another milestone room almost complete today, this one is probably one of the best transformations we've done so far, from damp infested brick to quite a snazzy finish.

Untitled.png