Sign in to follow this  
roulli

13/60 mild tuning

Hi,

happy new year to All!

I'm planing to install the following bits, that are lying in my shelf, to my standard GE engine.

1. spitfire 1500 exhaust manifold
  2. 2 HS2 SU instead of the 150 Stromberg

Has anybody fixed the 1500 exhaust manifold to an Herald and what is the way to go to match it the original exhaust system or should I upgrade to a Vitesse 2L system?

Cheers

Patrick

Will the twin down pipes for the 1500 manifold clear the Herald Chassis member? 

You may have to do a trial fit to see, if it will or won't may well answer what you do with the rest of the exhaust system.

Alan

Vitesse 2L exhaust is a good route although they usually have an S-bend shape at the front which won't help you.  If you know anywhere with a tube bender suitable for thin-wall tube then just buy the back box (Canleys used to do a nice stainless "semi-sport" one) and a length to tube to suit.  Just two shallow bends needed.

As regards the carbs.  2 x 1.25" SUs won't add much apart from thirst and irritation unless the engine has other mods too.  1 x SU HIF 38 or maybe HIF44 on the original manifold (with adaptor) might help a bit.  I got best low-mid-range results from a HS6 on an early Dolomite 1500 manifold on my hot 1300.  Only > 5500 rpm did 2 x 1.5 SUs give any benefit.

Never tried the 1500 manifold on a Herald - always used tubular 4-2-1.  As Alan says you might need to relieve the chassis rail lip a little.

Nick

Thanks Nick and Alan,

You kind of convinced me, that I should leave my 13/60 engine as it is, at this point of time.

It has only 40kkm and runs quite well.

The GE engine even with the 150CD tries really to go on to rev, once it comes on cam, say after 3500rpm. One can feel the engine would like to go on, it's not lethargic .

I don't actually miss any max. power at the highway, as it would run beyond what vibrations, noise and common sense (what ever that is. supposed to be..) will want you to do with a Herald. 110 to 115 real GPS kph with OD is just fine.

On the small roads , especially in the hills it could do with a bit more torque. That's why I thought to fit the spit 1500 exhaust manifold and the 2 x HS2s, which I had gathered for almost  free.

The point with the spit. 1500 exhaust manifold is that it won't fit together with the single carburetor 13/60 inlet manifold.

A Toledo 1500 or a US Spitfire inlet manifold might also foul with European exhaust manifold?

No Toledo manifolds on ebay currently.

So I'll wait until one day I'll visit Beaulieu or Malvern (for a Dolly/Toledo manifold)  or until I'll prepare a second engine, with adapted cam, ignition and compression.

Patrick

I can assure you that the toledo/dolly 1300 manifold will not fit with a 1500 cast iron exhaust manifold.

I did try, even spent time with a grinder but it just would not work. This was for my toledo with a 1500 engine, so I had to stick with twin SU's. 

Would one HIF44 / HS6 be then of any benefit on a standard 13/60, while leaving the standard exhaust manifold with the pea-shooter exhaust?

27 minutes ago, roulli said:

Would one HIF44 / HS6 be then of any benefit on a standard 13/60, while leaving the standard exhaust manifold with the pea-shooter exhaust?

I doubt it but have not actually tried that!

Nick

That is serious supercharging - intercooling makes a world of difference compared with my wet blower effort.

Peter

Went extremely well by all accounts  "like a good 2.5".  There were some breakage issues.  Driveshafts and crankshaft (though may just have been tired).  Also made a fairly nasty noise.  He took it off after a fairly short while, point proven.  Very clever man Mr Bowler.  Pity he got fed up with the Triumph scene.

Nick

Wow, now that's a total beast. As good as a good 2,5 l, means it has almost 3 times the power of a Herald.

That's requires that the rest of the running gear gets reinforced.

I'd content myself with reliable 80 to 90 horsepower.

The wheels  and color remind me of this Spitfire, but obviously that one had no compressor:

http://www.triumphexp.com/phile/8/65329/IMG_1604.jpg

Patrick

23 minutes ago, roulli said:

Wow, now that's a total beast. As good as a good 2,5 l, means it has almost 3 times the power of a Herald.

The wheels  and color remind me of this Spitfire, but obviously that one had no compressor:

Patrick

Patrick,  

Useful summary of low pressure supercharging here:

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/techinfo/supercharge/index.html

Eldred Norman should be a hero of TR racing, his  1954 exploits are mentioned in my talk:

https://supertrarged.wordpress.com/2015/08/10/iwe-tech-seminar-supercharging-trs-for-the-road/

Peter

Edited by PeterC

1 hour ago, roulli said:

Patrick

That is in fact the same car.  Josh B actually bought my old Herald 1200 and swapped some of his favourite parts over (he did talk about putting the supercharger on it but didn't in the end) and then sold the Spitfire to Mattius (a long-standing forum member who had much to do the forum layout when it was recovered after the big crash).  Matt unfortunately had a "mishap" which finished the car off, but luckily didn't quite finish him off.   I always find that a pretty sobering picture.

Even without the supercharger and on 1.5" SUs, that 1300 was a pretty powerful engine.  That car also had the very first of the Rover 100 based CV joint conversions on it as it was Josh who developed it from my original Ford based conversion.  Those parts live on but I don't know if anything else was salvaged.  I recognise the rocker cover (crackle black painted by myself), which was on the Herald when I sold it.

80 - 90 bhp in a Herald is about right.  Mine was at it's most useable when fitted with a slightly tuned 1500 (maybe 80 hp, lots of torque), 3.89 diff and overdrive.  Was my everyday car like that for maybe 3 years and I did alot of miles like that.  Cooked the brakes a few times until I got Vitesse 2L ones on there.

When Josh sold the car it emigrated to West Australia (without me!) and after spending to time with Mr Thompson (well known on this site, TRR and CT) it fell into the hands of a serious nutter http://www.club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1515071557/

Nick