Insane, at least if not worse

Those were the days of thunder for the poor people. Missing cubic inches compensated by mania, very very light car and power. This VW Polo was built 1977. My brother bought it 1978 and I got it 1980. Soon I started racing and from 1983  - 1988 and drove a lot. Preferably Nürburgring. Incl 24 h. Yes with success. 2004 I sold the car to a best friend who still was racing and had smashed his Polo. He had a severe accident in 2006 and for me the car was gone, scrapped, .... ???

So only memories left.

20180101_180632.jpg

Edited by Martin
typo

Now the update.

In early summer on a meeting of out Motor Sports Club a mate said that he thinks that he had seen a roof of a white Polo at someones workshop which could be my old one. I said no, car had a severe accident beyond repair. To cut a long story short, I sarted to investigate,  car passed through several hands, mainly for parts and then was tucked away for body parts, as Polo1 parts are difficult to get and rust free Polos are  like hens teeth.

This how I found it. And YES it was MY OLD CAR. All the memories came back, so I bought it.

20171022_171946_1514827310871_resized.jpg

Some days ago we picked it up. This will be a challenge.

It does not look that bad, but the problem is that the impact from the accidend is really severe and very tricky to repair. The other car came from the right and the complete turret where the damper is mounted folded to the inside and even worse angled down as the roll cage was extended to the turret and acted as a kind of fixed point.

Thus beside my Herald Estate resto I will start looking for Polo1 / Audi 50 parts. Anyone surplus of wings and a front valance :biggrin:

............   and I will remove these ugly beaten out wheel arches

20171228_121808_resized.jpg

20171228_122936_resized (2).jpg

Well, that's a nice story!  Amazing the thing is still around and seems to have been dry stored.......  No rust?

As you say, the damage doesn't look that bad.  However, the turret area is a strong part of the car and will be hard to straighten.  Do you know anyone with a hydraulic body jig?  Surprising what can be pulled back into shape......  If you've not seen any Aurther Tussik vids before - it's an education - though I'm not saying I'd necessarily want the car afterwards!

Polo 1 / Audi 50 are almost unknown here now - eaten by the tin worms a long time ago.

Any of the nice mechanical parts  left from the original car?

Nick

Wow!  Thank you, Nick, I've never seen Gospodin Tussik at work before!

The man has the eye of an artist and the hand of a sculptor - or surgeon!    I loved the way he welded the cut out panels back in - short weld, tappetty tap with an adjusting hammer before the next weld.    A real tutorial on body repair!

But he has some serious kit, as behoves a great artist.    That hydraulic puller could not be improvised,  and the fine panel-pulling gadgets, too.   And, I fear that in the West, no one could afford his time, because that must have taken days.    In Russia (?) crashed big BMWs from the West might  be cheap and get a good price when repaired,    Let's hope Martin's car isn't as bad as that.

John

I'm sure Martin's car is nothing like that bad - but that is not to underestimate the difficulty in moving the suspension turret back to where it should be - preferably without having to cut the whole corner apart......

I always wonder about Tussik's donor sections and where they come from.........

Nick

Unfortunately all, really all mechanical parts gone. They where removed as needed. But this is relatively easy to replace. And I will go for fast road spec (aiming at 100 -110 horses) and not again full race. (I had 45 DCOE, 12.3 compression rate and 324 degree cam, usable power band 4.000 - 9.000 rpm). Two 40 DCOE already ebayed in UK and with a mate in England whom I will visit around February 11th :biggrin:

Car is only the Body, dash, roll cage. BUT WHAT IS MORE IMPORTANT IN GERMANY: WITH THE OLD BUT VALID CAR DOCUMENTS

And I got the car road legal in the 70ies / 80ies. All changes registered in the car documents (power increase, race seats, vented discs, DCOE´s, roll Cage, wide rims, lowered Suspension, two different sport exhausts, ...) If you came to our TÜV today whith such a car, I think the inspector would get a heart attack and I got shot.

Fortunately I know people with hydraulic body jigs. And I know someone who has the Polo1 special tool for straightening (in german : Richtsatz) which has to be used on that jig.

Real challenge (costs) are the body parts. front wing, >250 EUR, front valance >450 EUR, if you can get one,

Martin

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes car will be white again.

I by chance detected a 1976 Polo at a Bosch Garage in the backyard. Thus I bought it as a donor. My old car is missing so many (or  nearly all) parts, that it made sense, and it was cheap and is absolutely complete. You see it on my new lift :) 

Donor Car.jpg

56 minutes ago, Martin said:

Yes car will be white again.

I by chance detected a 1976 Polo at a Bosch Garage in the backyard. Thus I bought it as a donor. My old car is missing so many (or  nearly all) parts, that it made sense, and it was cheap and is absolutely complete. You see it on my new lift :) 

Donor Car.jpg

Garage and lift envy !

great project too :-)

The car has really rotten floor, a posts,inner sills, outer sills ... Some boxed section where the rear axle is mounted is, .....  hmmm crunchy.

But: bonnet, doors, rear hatch very good nearly rust free. front wings are replacement ones with only some minor rust spots at the bottom, new front panel was neatly welded in and I will cut it out as spare. Thus the car gives me all the body parts I need. This was not expected and I already bought most body parts. Thus may sell some of them again,

Martin

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This guy is a genius. I could not believe how much force is needed. When pulling the  A-Pillar down the (not closed)  door pointed  downwards approx 3 inch at the rear end. Then we used a 5 kg hammer from the inside to push the sill out at the front ..... 

But now the door shuts nicely, the wing is nearly fitting and the data of the main suspension points are appr 80-90%. Second session coming soon.

20181201_120231_resized.jpg

There are some real artists in body repair, who know exactly where to pull on and hit to straighten bent metal.  Arthur Tussik is one of the best:

But you do have to wonder - he's bending back into shape parts of the body shell that are energy absorbing 'crumple zones'.  They have yielded under stress and then yielded again from his ministrations.     They'll not work as well next time, so is the car safe?    No wonder he's a Russian, working in Russia!

JOhn

Edited by JohnD

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

As the Vitesse Estate is on the road, I had some spare time to spend it on the Polo.

I prepared it for the paint shop. It will be white again. 

Most likely it will take about two months until it will be back from the paint shop. 

polo on trailer to painter.jpg