Strange looking crankShaft

Hi,

Just seen this crank at work today for a new low capacity mass produced engine. It's made for ***** and I am not allowed to name the well known and large car supplier of cars!

Is the disk a new idea or are more new cranks looking like this? 

Somebody at work did say it was Lancaster or Lancashire technology from a hundred years ago! 

Cheers,

Iain.

Crank.JPG

Edited by spitfire6
speeling!

It was the polymath, probable genius, Fred Lanchester who was the first to try to take out engine vibration, with torsional vibration dampers and then countershafts.   His engines, in Lanchester cars, were reputed to be the smoothest ever made of that era, the 1900-1930s.

But that disc is neither a damper, nor a countershaft!  From its smooth, polished? rim, as good as the rusty main nsext to it, does run in a wide bearing?

John

Edited by JohnD

Hi all,

I thought the disk acted like a flywheel. LOL.  Yes a robot will fit a gear onto the disk deal.

It's not a Ford part but as they did own the company, I guess you are correct.

Yes they are unfinished and the hundreds that are at work were used for trials and commissioning. All will be scrapped and  will all be thrown in the skip.

Our machines just grind the journals and on site will be passed and loaded into other machines for additional machining and balancing.

In my defense, I did think it was rather small for a flywheel.

Cheers,

Iain.

IMG_0579.thumb.JPG.bdb173d4bf5d3505c35a76c1afdff4e2.JPG

What's really interesting looking at that crank is the issue of balancing, its a circular disc central to the crank so no issue, but it also replaces one of the half sized cast/forged journal lugs (or what ever we call them), but the mass of half of the circle supporting the BE journal has to be way less than the missing half lug would have been. Just wondering if its interesting to balance or if it doesn't matter as the whole geared ring is actually functioning like another crank bearing (well sort of).

Alan

180deg 4 cyl cranks always look so ungainly compared to the elegance of 120deg 6 cyl cranks. 

Came across this today.  It's the countershaft driven by the bevel gear on the crank.

Thrown into the skip, eh?

This crank is for the 2L and 2.3L Ecoboost.     The 1.6l has 'only' 180bhp in production form, but has been taken to 395 already!   400 is said to be possible.  And these people sell a kit to take you there: http://www.sbdev.co.uk/EcoBoost/EcoBoost_information.html

They did it without any mods to the crank, so think how much you can get from the 2.3L!  And how mnay cranks will need to be replaced after doubling the power output for a while.    Your company might like to put some in store for that rainy day!

John

Ecoboost counter shaft.png

Hi,

The Ecoboost engine is amazing. Of course helped by ultra precision grinding of the journals that only our equipment can do..

So that's what improves the balance the engine? Not much to look at?

IMG_0584.thumb.JPG.30f4ec88cad79b761725bca39cf3a61c.JPG

The crank above is a monster. I could not even lift it. Any guesses?

The cranks are all scrapped as they belong to the customer and most of the time the customer does not want to pay for there return. Most need additional work, so really of no use.

Cheers,

Iain.