Give blood - the best gift you'll ever give!

JohnD

It's a good thing to do.  My sister in law has been undergoing treatment for leukaemia for the last year and has gone through many pints........

I've made exactly two attempts to do this in my life (both a long time ago now) and was chased away due to long term residence in Africa.  Whether enough time has now elapsed or whether it's a "lifetime ban" I'm not sure.  Sure probably check again.  Senior Management goes regularly and has many badges.  I don't recall her ever being texted like that though.

Nick

Hello All

I have given blood since I was 18 years old and at 113 donations now! 

I have had that sort of notification for the last few donations and I must admit it does give you a good good feeling to think you have helped some one.

A relative of mine said if you are prepared to receive you should be prepared to give(If you can) which sounds reasonable to me! and it only hurts for a moment(honest)

Roger

You get Tunnocks!?Crikey, I am lucky to get a slightly broken custard cream. Guess that is the North/South divide!

Talking of which, last time I went I quizzed the nice lady with the big needle about why I was only asked to donate 3-4 times a year and sessions were always fully booked way in advance. The answer came back that some areas have plenty of donors, but struggle for numbers in others. 

And I do wish they would not say "sharp scratch" as they push that needle in. It is more of a big prick, but I guess they are not allowed to say that.

I was recruited into a study of the frequency of donation, the INTERVAL study.  Was it safe to give more often that every twelve weeks (16 for women)?    Were there any downsides of a higher frequency? Because overall the BTS (Blood Tranfusion Service) just about copes, and would like to be able to Harvest more.  I happened to be in the normal 12 week group, not the 10 or 8 weeks (14 and 12 for women) so gave as usual.    That 12 week 'interval' is why you haven't been able to give more than four times a year, Zetec.

From another 44,999 volunteers they found that it was safe to give more often, but that "more work was needed" (That is said in study conclusions so often that some journals ban the remark!).  They want to ensure that there are no groups who could be harmed by more frequent donation.    So the minimum interval won't be changed soon - we are volunteers, after all.

You can see the main conclusions and the FAQs about the study here:  http://www.intervalstudy.org.uk/your-questions/interval-main-results/

John

PS Biscuits? Pfui!  I was  wearing a tight shirt the last time I went, too tight to roll up the sleeve (Doh!),  so I said I'd take it off, and they gave me a free, red T-shirt!   WooHoo!  "Give Blood, Give Life"!   I dont imagine it'll work every time!   J.

I wish i could, i find it the craziest rule that those who have received a blood donation are banned for life.

As i understand it even if you had 100% of your blood transfused, after a period of time your body basically replenishes it to be its own, (blood cells only last a few months).

Either way the blood you receive is screened for all blood born diseases,

So even now 10 years later i cannot give blood, yet i like almost everyone who has ever received a transfusion who be the most likely to donate often and regularly.

My friends still get together every couple of years and team up to donate the 10.5 pints of blood i required to keep me going.

Edited by mattius

mattius,

You remember mad cow?    That was caused by cow's dead bodies being processed into cow feed, protein supplement.    So that a rare 'infection' was amplified by being repeatedly passed through the cow population, more being infected every time.   A blood transfusion is a much, much better way of transmitting an infection than eating/drinking blood, as the digestive system doen't get in the way.   If - IF - something was passed on, then for the recipient to give blood and then infuse it into someone else would produce at least three infected!   It's the precautionary principle - if something could cause a nasty effect, even if the risk is low, don't do it!

Well done to you and your mates who continue to donate on your behalf!     You and they are doing a good job to pay  back the Blood Bank!

I've never needed to make a withdrawal, as it were, but it's so easy to donate! 

John

Edited by JohnD

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/11/2017 at 7:06 AM, zetecspit said:

You get Tunnocks!?Crikey, I am lucky to get a slightly broken custard cream. Guess that is the North/South divide!

Aye, it could well be, Clive..

The refreshments are provided by a local charity.

We are often told, Scottish charities by and large collect more than those in the rest of the UK, this is easy to calculate because Scottish charities are registered separately.

I dare say there is a favourable deal available from Tunnocks too :biggrin:

Ian.

Edited by Sprint95m
spelling!