My weekend so far

GT6Steve

• 4 weeks later...

That Jag rekindles my lust for a series one.

Helping out a new triumph convert with some NOS body parts I had surplus, I delivered the parts to his parents farm. His dad met me and we conversed at length about cars and the hobby and his son's enthusiasm for his spitfire. he mentioned he had an E-type and was looking to finish it someday. After some more conversation he invited me to have a look, it was actually in his barn.

We went out, it was a large old wood barn, multiple level, and sure enough there was a work shop and loads of farm equipment, and some vehicles, and a distinctive shape under a canvas tarp. A red 1964 E coupe. Pretty good shape an older restoration that had been partly disassembled, complete with drivetrain though a 4.2 engine installed.  It was beautiful, a paint job and interior refurbishment away from the road.

He had it for 35 years, in his seventies now, still optimistic he will get it done or at least his son will inherit it and finish.

Ill be doing my best to stay in touch, one never knows.

Edited by TIMSGT6 X 5

The old boy is half heartedly selling his 70's Stingray, gutting cause i love driving it, but i can understand his reasons (he's 70 now, struggles with the clutch and has only done 500 miles in the last year). 

Interestingly im trying to convince him to buy a MK2, perfect car for him and my mum to cruise around in.

Like you say, completely different beasts, but both right in their own way.

Img_2074.jpg

13 hours ago, mattius said:

Interestingly im trying to convince him to buy a MK2, perfect car for him and my mum to cruise around in.

Might get him to look at the Daimler 250 V8 just as pretty, better finished, and a gorgeous engine!

https://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/reviews/daimler/v8-250/

Funnily usually a lot cheaper than the equivalent MK2

Alan

7 hours ago, oldtuckunder said:

Might get him to look at the Daimler 250 V8 just as pretty, better finished, and a gorgeous engine!

https://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/reviews/daimler/v8-250/

Funnily usually a lot cheaper than the equivalent MK2

Alan

+1 on that, though if he wants a manual that could take some finding as most were auto.  Very tough little V8, previously much loved by the drag racers as they are very strong.  Need to pick a good one though as rebuilds are fearsome expensive.

Nick

Hello Nick,

another Daimler V8 was the 4.5 litre version of the 2.5 fitted to the Daimler Majestic Major saloon. Despite it's size it was very quick for it's day. I think William Lyons killed it off as it was a better and faster car than the Jaguar Mk 10.

Alec