Alternative to a type 038 battery?

I am going to have to buy a car battery for my Dolomite Sprint at some point (next year).

The standard option is a type 038, which has the specification:

35Ahr  12V.  265CCA.  239mm long x 133mm wide x 206mm high.  11kg weight

Battery technology is improving (indeed there is a factory near here providing high spec. solutions to industry),

so I am wondering if there is a more modern and advantageous alternative to a 038?

I would like ideally to save some weight and have a lower height, the latter is because air filter clearance is tight with a 038.

Thanks,

Ian.

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that the 038 relates to the size of the battery and the orientation of the terminals, not the spec of the battery itself?

You should be able to buy a better spec battery in 038 size (Halfords will give an indication as too what is available), however I find with all the Triumphs I can fit a bigger size in anyway, something 065 I use?? You need to check terminal orientation and location with regards to cables, and physical size.

Also, I think some people have used gel battery's etc, as smaller and lighter, but I really know nothing about these!

Cheers

Phil

Thanks for your input Phil,

alas there is not enough room to fit a 065, since these, although lower,  are some 40mm wider. They are also 3kg heavier.

(https://www.puretyre.co.uk/car-battery-specification-chart/)

Space is at a premium because I will be using a remote thermostat, probably necessitating routing a hose (or pipe)  between the battery and the alternator.

Even without the plumbing consideration, a 40mm increase in battery width will means said battery and the alternator are in very close proximity.

Some folk resort to relocating the battery to the boot but I really want to avoid doing that.

thanks,

Ian.

I suspect there are many possibilities if you are prepared to trawl through the battery catalogues.  Alot of Japanese stuff seems to use funny shaped and compact batteries.

Or something like this

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/batteries/odyssey-extreme-racing-25-battery-pc680

Quite pricey but probably very long lasting if treated with respect.

Years ago I bought an Exide "Torque Starter" battery for the Herald.  I don't remember why - possibly in preparation for it's very short-lived hillclimbing career.  It was expensive but compact, relatively light and packed most impressive cranking power.  It also lasted about 15 years and would have lasted longer if I hadn't killed it by letting it get too flat for too long.  Sadly NLA.  Advertised as still being able to start your car after it had had a rifle bullet through it......  I'd buy another if they were still made.

Nick

Demon Tweaks was a random pick.  Also you really can't fault their service, they are rarely the most reasonably priced supplier, so worth looking around once you've chosen a particular product.

Looks like you would need either an extreme 25 or extreme 30 size.  About twice the price of an 038 from Halfords.  I have a high opinion of Halfords batteries - the one in Chris's Spitfire is a Halfords "3 year"  063 size bought from my favourite scrapyard in 2006 for £ 10 in p/ex with an old one and it's spent most of those 11 years in the Vitesse.  Got swapped out as the 075 we had earmarked for the Spit was actually too big to fit in the hole.  It's the only conventional lead acid battery I've had crack the 10 year barrier.  Had a couple of others get to 9.

Odyssey batteries are AGM type and these are available from lots of the mainstream battery makers (Yuasa, Varta, Bosch etc) so might be worth speaking to your local battery supplier (industrial supplier not motor factor - need to find one who actually knows about what he sells!).

Nick

Searching the internet I can't seem to find any positive reviews of these "race" batteries,

in the context of normal road use that is, which is rather disappointing. 

The one Odyssey suggest for a TR7 (nearest equivalent to a Dolomite Sprint) on their website (USA) is heavier than the type 038.

If I get any further with this idea I'll report back of course.

Ian.

Hi Ian

This is an Odyssey PC680 fitted to a GT6. Plenty of cold cranking power for the 6 cylinder. CCA is 170A on these but the short term peak 5 seconds is over 500A. I almost frighted myself the first time I cranked the engine with this battery.  You can see how much smaller than the standard battery + you can mount it flat if that fits better. I have it fitted witha Ctec battery conditioner/charger socket. Very happy with it.

Cheers

Nigel

CIMG2227.thumb.JPG.001acc9fc2d65fa7a4a32afaa7f6c682.JPG

CIMG2231.JPG