broken drive shaft

Whilst ripping Kitchen apart a few weeks ago buried in a draw I found this, its from my old Range Rover LSE 4.2.

Its a rear half shaft end (end that goes in diff) not only did it break, but about 1.5" from the end I think it broke and re-welded itself, its certainly cracked all around that point and the teeth don't quite perfectly align, anyway thought it interesting enough to photo before it goes in the bin.

Didn't damage the diff at all, had to remove the opposite drive shaft to drift it out, but new one went back in and never played up. Did subsequently break a front one, so wonder if they had a manufacturing problem at some point. Problem with 4 wheel drive, viscous couplings and Traction Control is that you don't know that you have broken one until you go off road and find that only three wheels are driving, it could have been sheered for a few months before I noticed.

Alan

59f0e8fbe470d_rrdriveshaft1(Custom).thumb.jpg.605c1c08a08974c6a2dacaa5fa6eb4b5.jpg

59f0e9b314403_rrdriveshaft2(Custom).thumb.jpg.15b25e86204b4386c51b663c9db3aac3.jpg

Definitely broken......  nearly broken twice.

Boss had something similar but it came from the depths of the transfer box of his Defender 90 and resulted in no drive whatever.  He was trying to the pull the stator off a large progressive cavity pump with it.......

Nick

• 3 months later...

That awakens happy memories - it looks so like the tortured remains of my half-shaft stub the last time l broke my Lockheed axle! It's part of a rogue's gallery/installation (you know, a mangled rear spring mounting pin, a piston with the rings fused into their grooves, etc.) which occupies one of my mantlepieces.

After that breakage (the 4th time it had happened in, well, 26 yrs:biggrin:) l bought a 2nd hand Girling axle from Revington TR and, touch wood, it's still good, 16 yrs on...

Tim.