Sign in to follow this  
Nick Jones

Modern cars and POs

So, Management has been wanting an Audi TT for some time.  I've been fending it off, hoping the urge would go away.  It didn't.

So, we now own a 2004 Audi TT in coupe, 2WD 180 bhp form.  Two owner car, purchased privately.  PO is an elderly lady who's had the car 10 years.  It's only done 64k.

The car came with a reasonable amount of service history.  Enough to verify the mileage and show that it's been serviced reasonably regularly.

Missing was any indication at all that it had ever had a timing belt done.......  The service book claims a 115k interval, which is barking mad.  This was later revised to 75k with an 8 year time limit or no time limit depending on source.

I thought I'd better do it.  Parts are about £ 150 to do the whole job including water pump, all tensioners etc.  I was quoted about £ 400 by one of the very few garages I'd let touch a car of ours, so I thought I'd do it.....

So having started about 12.30, I sit here now with scarred and bleeding hands and a tired back - with the job about 60% done.  Book says 2.2 hours.....  Presumably that is with the engine removed.  To be fair, the actual belt swap is not that bad, but access - what bleedin' access!

About 2.5 hours in, after removing a huge pile of plastic covers, water lines, fuel lines, boost pipes, part of an engine mount you get a slot about the width of a letter box to work in with part of the engine mount bracket wandering about in it as there is no way to wiggle it out.

Oh, and having got in there it becomes obvious that it has had a timing belt before, and quite recently.  Nothing in the service book, no invoice, no sticker..... bastard! :mad:

Nick

Respect!

Moderns' access to the engine really is minimal, and designedly, I fear, with all the security fasteners etc.

There will be no 'future classics'.

John

I feel your pain.  I did the timing belt and water pump in Mum and Dad’s Camry at Xmas last year.  Turned into a two day swearathon, mostly trying to get access to oil seals and find ways to undo ungripable bolts.

Timing a cam in a T6 is a doddle in comparison!

C.

Two day swearathon is right!  Belt and covers now fitted (and the engine still turns!), but the pile of bits is a big as ever......

Alot of it is down to having exactly the right tool.  I wish I had a 3/8" drive set with deep sockets - and short hex/torx drivers.  And where does my bloody 10mm 1/4" drive socket go ffs..... it was giving me the runaround yesterday - today it's completely AWOL - which is very bad as there are lots of 10mm bolts in difficult to reach places..... I swear it nips off to another dimension:mad:

There are bolts you can see but not touch, there are bolts you can touch but not see, there are even some you can't see or touch - all you can  do is poke a socket/spanner in their general direction and hope.  The latter are of course the same ones that you can only swing an 1/8th turn at a time and the same ones that fight to the last.  Now back to trying to re-attach the engine mount bracket - which involves two of the latter.  The designer should be smeared with honey and staked to an ant-heap......

Nick

It's the garage gremlins, Nick, they infest mine as well!

NOT the awful 1984 film version, but the 1943 Disney one that was never released, based on stories by Roald Dahl, and featuring the RAF!

Please ignore the squeaky voiced commentator (surely the love child of the Mouse himself and Cinderella) and enjoy the film clips.

John

Edited by JohnD

Off track.....I really enjoyed the 1984 Gremlins. Greatly appealed to a juvenile 18 year old, especially with a beer and pizza.....A good friend even named his cat "Gizzy"

I'm replacing the oil pan on a 2007 Dodge Charger.  As it's off I want to inspect the rods and mains but terrified of the modern fasteners.  Torque to twenty foot pounds then 1/4 turn more doesn't sound very precise to me.

As an aside, I'm driving the 69 E Type every day now.  Took some mental adjustment at first but now it's a hoot!  And gets a lot of attention ;-)

The idea is that it's more precise as it takes thread friction out of the equation.  The 20lbs is the seating torque, then 90º with a known thread pitch gives a known amount of stretch.....  You need an angle gauge - but I'm sure you know all this already.

Quite often means one-time use bolts, but not always.  Worth checking though.

This bloody TT has angle torques on the engine mount bracket - and some of the bolts on it are "stretch" ones.  Just did them up tight.  No way to get an angle in there anyway.  These guys think they're that smart they should try designing a bit of maintainability in.  The plastic undertray is held on with 16 (sixteen) fasteners......  This has to come off for oil changes...... No wonder they think long-life oil and variable (for variable, read stupidly long and the car decides) service intervals are a good idea.  I disagree.  Fortunately it was only on the variable scheme for the first couple of years.

It's running again.  Found a few more things that need attention but nothing too urgent.  Except tyres - currently running elderly Continentals, three of which have some strange edge wear going on, possibly because they've been run under-inflated or possibly because they're Continentals.  The other is cracked to hell in the base of the tread even though it's the same age...... weird.

Driving round in a '69 E-type........ :cool:

Nick

Driving around an Audi TT......

I read long ago that the angle method was preferred in shipbuilding and locomotives and extremely accurate,  Do worry about the one time usage as well but have seen no mention of it yet.  I have to do it though.  Can't put the new pan on without a looksee!

We do have some angle torques onboard, however all the major torques for main engine/generator (cylinder heads, Conrods, bearings etc etc) are actually all done by hydraulic pressure. Wind the nut down, slide a collar over it then screw a jack on top and pump.

Mind you, some of our tightening torques measure in the thousands of bar pressure range, I dread to think how long a bar and how many people it would take to tighten that by hand :blink::blink:

I envy you for attempting maintenance on modern cars, I have given up on my 14 plate Ranger, it simply goes to a garage now. And that has comparatively excellent room compared to most!!

Phil

10 hours ago, GT6Steve said:

Driving around an Audi TT......

It's hers........! 

It's a bit like driving a small armoured vehicle, albeit quite fast one.  The 225 Quattros must be proper quick.  Still look girly though!

What is this "envy" Phil?  You are obviously the smarter one here!  If we keep it long enough to need another it's going to the garage!  I already use them for the A6 cambelt as I did it once and that was a two day swearathon too.  The crank pulley bolt on that  is 200Nm + 270º.  That is approaching marine standard.  I could only manage 180º but it held for 75K until the next one!

Pics of keyhole surgery

From above

P1160881s.jpg

below

P1160882s.jpg

7 year old Continental

P1160892s.jpg

Nick

7 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

What is this "envy" Phil?  You are obviously the smarter one here!

Yeah, but at least you guys had the errrmmm, courage to try, I didn't even bother trying lol.

Which has its downsides, my last bill came in nearly into 4 figures due to a broken rear leaf spring lol.

Phil

Yeah..... I don't like 4 figure bills.  Most of the daily fleet are only valued in 3 figures!  Not so much courage as too mean to pay a garage.

Nick