Sign in to follow this  
JohnD

Connector Is

JohnD   

I'm hoping to enter a night race at the end of this season, so have added an LED light bar to the Vitesse. Not happy the connector I've used, a socket in the front valence, and a CIG lighter type plug. Not secure and not waterproof.

Any suggestions for a through-panel, waterproof, locking, 2-pin connector? I've searched eBay with nothing found that looks satisfactory, so I turn to the Sideways database.

Thanks!

John

PeteClan   

Jon,

I have Durite sockets fitted to both my Clans and these have caused no problems.  I use the to connect a trickle type battery charger to keep everything topped up. They are used outside in the rain with no problems.  When not in use the socket has a tight fitting cap.  The part number for the socket is 0-601-19 and it's listed as a Din Socket with Cap - 16 amp.  Unfortunately I don't have the part number for the plug but it should'nt be too hard to find.

Pete Richards

JohnD   

Thank you Pete!

But doesn't that take a cig lighter plug?  How secure is it, and how waterproof in use?   The one I have is like that, supposed to have a bayonet type  fixation ,but its very wobbly.     The soccket on my front valance faces down, so I'm concerned that it will just fall out, and be exposed to a LOT of rain water!

Would you agree?  Shouldf I keep looking?

JOhn

PeteClan   

John,

Mine takes a bayonet plug and not a cig lighter type.  Seems very secure to me.  I have a two pin lucar type plug at the charger end of the lead and that always pulls out when I forget to unplug from the car.  I'll try and get a picture of the plug.

Pete

PeteClan   

Jon,

Could be worth looking at the Durite online catalogue.  The plugs for the socket are part numbers 0-601-26 and 0-601-27.  The second is a right angled fitting. They also list quite a number of other type connectors which may be appropriate.

Pete

JohnD   

Thanks to all who advised!

Eventually, I found this on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WD19-GX20-Aviation-Plug-Socket-Circular-Multipole-Connector-Bulkhead-3-Hole/151916850289?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=451101167266&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Metal connector, threaded clamp ring on the plug so it'll never fall out, three bolts to hold the socket to the panel, and a rubber cap to keep it clean and dry when not in use.   It comes with all the bolts, and adequate lengths of heatshrink to seal to the cables either side.    I got the 2-pin version, but up to 12-pin versions are available.     Exactly what I wnated, and for the price. I think it's remarkable value!

I was only frustrated by my own incompetence!   All connected up, no light.   Out with the multimeter, volts everywhere they should be.  Is there a blown fuse or something inside?   Dismantled the LED Bar, which has two bus bars supplying all the LEDs, tested them - 12+V!     It must be completely forked!  

BUT!   There's a little minus sign on the meter!   Reverse the polarity, and MY EYES!  MY EYES!  I had connected the pins up the wrong way around.    Forgot that while a bulb will shine with the volts going either way, an LED insists on one-way only.

Success!

JOhn