Sign in to follow this  
oldtuckunder

Diff Wear Indicators

Hi Just stripping a 3.63 diff for a minor refurb  and fit a 6 stud rear case before using. Apart from the fact that the diff turned and I think drove the car it came from I have no history for it, other than it has sat in dry storage for over 20 years, oil came out very clean.

I have attached some pictures of the Crown Wheel, Pinion and Planet gear teeth, any one know if these look good? Checked the manual which has pictures of different wear points on the CW & P but these teeth don't seem to have any wear spots that I can see at all, so its either very good or its worn out completely?

Alan

post-2759-0-55688600-1502824364_thumb.jpg

post-2759-0-92222400-1502824372_thumb.jpg

post-2759-0-06283600-1502824358_thumb.jpg

post-2759-0-41643200-1502824336_thumb.jpg

Clean oil is a very good sign.  It's usually nasty.

Smooth turning, minimal backlash.  No pits in the planet gear teeth.

No float in the pinion flange.

All teeth present and complete on CW & P with no nasty marks on the working surfaces and no sharp edges.

No random chunks of metal in the oil or bottom of casing.

Beyond that it's chuck it in and pray it's quiet!  Or send it to Marcus for a check over......

Nick

Thanks for input.

Thought one of the bits I'd change is the pinion oil seal as its been standing for so long, in the past I have always been able to undo the nut by locking the stub shafts, any clues with the back cover off and stub shaft removed of a way to lock the crown wheel from turning so I can put enough torque on the nut to undo it?

Alan

Hello Alan

Just bolt a longish piece of bar across 2 holes in the flange leaving enough room for the socket(no strain on other parts then!)

A piece of angle iron works well as you can relieve the centre but still have strength(that,s what I do) and if you make it the right length and hang weights on it you can get the right preload that's how Triumph did it?

I saw a triumph tool at Stoneliegh  last year but I had rebuilt my differential but should have bought it as it had the sliding weight etc as shown in the manuals(and it was cheap!!!!!!!)

Roger