Nick Jones

Nick & Chris's Gt6 Mk 3

27 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

So it does...…. oops!  Could drill and tap that I suppose - is it tapped on the side or the bottom?

On the side, if you want it I'll pop the spare bracket in the post.

Alan

As Alan says:-

On the side but towards the bottom, otherwise it goes through that newly cleaned out water passage...which would be a very bad thing...very bad!

Ian

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:00 PM, Nick Jones said:

So I have discussed the matter with Mr Papworth.  New mainshafts for 3 rail+D type are available for with 18mm tips.  The price is not unreasonable really.  However, this then leads to a need to purchase a matching input shaft, which is available and again, not that unreasonable a price.  However, it's starting to add up to a biggish number without adding in any of the other parts that will undoubtedly be needed or the need for a new fine-spline clutch when the coarse-splined one I have is fine......  Alternatively I could get the original input shaft machined out (maybe - it's bloody hard) to take a roller bearing with a machined outer ring*.  I could even get a standard pattern mainshaft with 1/2" tip and use a roller bearing with machined inner and outer rings...... meaning fully replaceable surfaces.......

I also have the sniff of a single rail 1850 box with J type OD, but condition unknown.  That would come out 1" longer though - unless I buy a 3 rail length mainshaft with 18mm tip and the shorter 3 rail J-type OD adaptor....... decisions decisions!

Pity the neither the RX8 or MX5 gearboxes cluttering my garage even remotely look like they want to fit!

*Taking an input shaft to the machine shop tomorrow to see if they reckon they can do it.  SKF offer bearings with machined outer rings for 18mm shafts with an OD of 26mm, ....

PM sent.

So, today, two bits of hope.

I scored an 1850 single rail gearbox with OD locally.  A bit weathered on the outside, but the all important (though fine-splined) input shaft is good to go again.  The mainshaft is ok too though the hardened surface has gone a bit matt.  Though I don't really want to use this as I don't want the extra 1" length.  It wasn't all good though as the rear end of the layshaft is massively worn as, is the inside of the cluster.  I think I can use one of the other two I have though......

So, I now have to choose whether to use the D-type OD (just have to buy the 18mm D-type OD shaft) or to use the J-type, which means buying the J-type version of the short, 18mm tipped shaft and the shorter adaptor housing......  I don't actually know whether either OD works!  One slight question mark is that the J-type has no right angle drive or even anywhere to put one - it seems to have only the clamp on arrangement?  Though on reflection, perhaps there should be a clamp-on threaded ring for the right angle drive to screw on to....?

The other option that has emerged is that the machine shop got sufficiently bored to try machining the inside of the input shaft I left them - and found that it is possible.  So if I can supply them a bearing, they'll machine it to match, so were I to buy two mainshafts I might have nearly enough parts to build both the D and J type versions.... though not entirely sure why I would!

In other news, I visited the paint shop today and the car has gone satin black.  That's still primer, but looks really rather good :smile:

16 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

In other news, I visited the paint shop today and the car has gone satin black.  That's still primer, but looks really rather good :smile:

Photos or didn’t happen! 

Sounds very positive on the gearbox.... handy when you have the slightest idea what your looking at ! 

Got no photos..... still haven't got used to the idea that my phone (work phone) has a camera.....

30 minutes ago, Alex said:

handy when you have the slightest idea what your looking at ! 

Yeah..... but only the slightest!

No photos :down:

As for the gearboxes, perhaps worth building both and keeping the preferred option and selling on the other?

It has occurred to me...... means investing in two mainshafts though..... and working up the energy and enthusiasm to build two boxes when I have plenty to do already.

Sorry about the pics..... must try harder!

Hello Nick

On the J type overdrive the clamp on mine holds the gear etc in place and the angle drive screws on.

I think j type is less brutal in operation but a bit slower to engage  plus is slightly more efficient (not that that really matters?)  

I like my 28% for the extra legs and that is why I am trying to fit O/D on 2nd (it does bog down if I use it to soon)but probably not a problem on a GT6?

Roger

3 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

So, I now have to choose whether to use the D-type OD (just have to buy the 18mm D-type OD shaft) or to use the J-type, which means buying the J-type version of the short, 18mm tipped shaft and the shorter adaptor housing......  I don't actually know whether either OD works!  One slight question mark is that the J-type has no right angle drive or even anywhere to put one - it seems to have only the clamp on arrangement?  Though on reflection, perhaps there should be a clamp-on threaded ring for the right angle drive to screw on to....?

The threaded ring is a separate piece to the speedo pinion seal housing, and the clamp just holds both in place.
NKC43:
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID005724

P.S. I thought there were only two different adaptor housings, one for 3-rail and one for single-rail? E.g. the D-type one you have will fit the J-type. 

Hello Nick

Are any of these parts of use to you?

Scroll is 7 start and pinions are 23 and 25 I think(old eyes)

Roger

ps they are free! and not needed by me just the magpie in me that I still have them!

DSC08438.JPG

10 hours ago, JumpingFrog said:

The threaded ring is a separate piece to the speedo pinion seal housing, and the clamp just holds both in place.

Thank you David.  This even explains what the random object is that has floating about in my "odd parts, may be useful one day" collection.  Bet I struggle to find it now I want it!!

10 hours ago, JumpingFrog said:

P.S. I thought there were only two different adaptor housings, one for 3-rail and one for single-rail? E.g. the D-type one you have will fit the J-type. 

I was only wondering this last night....... I have both so can try it!  Rimmers have failed me as I can't find any listing for the 1850 part....... So after a bit of a pause I have been out to the garage (through pissing rain and gales!)....... and no, no go.  The D type part does have the same bolt pattern and is the correct thickness, but the casting has a lip standing proud inside the OD flange there is no place for and leaves no room for the J-type workings.  There must be a 3rd one that is a shorter version of the single rail one.

53 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

Are any of these parts of use to you?

Thanks Roger..... the short answer is that I don't know.  Those parts are there, though I don't know what colour gear is in there, or what colour I want for that matter!  It's the threaded adapter ring  that is clamped by the fork that is not present, though, as above, I think I do have one somewhere.

Having also just been speaking to Mr Papworth, it seems I will be taking the D-type route anyway as the J-type shafts are not currently available due to "unresolved issues" (main tip over-size I reckon as per David's recent problems) and he was very vague about when they might be available.  I may get around to building the J-type variant later dependent on how many usable bits are left.  At least one laygear cluster is scrap as I don't think there is enough meat in them under first gear to allow boring out for a machined-ring needle roller..... will check though as the gears look good.

Been at the the paint shop this morning putting bonnet and doors back on - though not fully re-aligned so far.  

It's changed a bit....

IMG_1974.jpgIMG_1977.jpgIMG_1978.jpg

Should hopefully be home end of next week - provided I can track down the transport man.......

1 hour ago, triumphlux said:

That was a fast turnover at the Paint shop, seems you're preparation work was quite good  :thumbsup:

Looking gorgeous too :yes:

JC

Yes, he’s been very efficient. He did say that it came in better than he usually gets them, though not enough to give me a discount!

It is a Mountney one Tim, though not likely to get used as mice have chewed it. Have a selection of others, though the majority are also Mountney and I have bosses for them.  I do have another of unknown make which seems superficially nicer, but has the wrong boss and therefore sets the double challenge of ID'ing it and finding a boss to fit it.

What is the specific objection to Mountney?  The other makes seem to be very much up themselves on price........

Nick

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

It is a Mountney one Tim, though not likely to get used as mice have chewed it. Have a selection of others, though the majority are also Mountney and I have bosses for them.  I do have another of unknown make which seems superficially nicer, but has the wrong boss and therefore sets the double challenge of ID'ing it and finding a boss to fit it.

What is the specific objection to Mountney?  The other makes seem to be very much up themselves on price........

Nick

Hello Nick

I have a 13" motolita but no boss if you are interested (wood rim) 

Could you not machine one of your bosses to suit?

Roger

Thanks Roger.  Have a wooden (15"?) one on the Vitesse which has a very thin, all-wood rim.  It's a bit flexible and I've had complaints that it prevents grabbing the car by the scruff and really chucking it about....... probably a good thing - not that it actually stops him! :blink:

Some pics of what I do have which will go some way to showing the machining issue....

Mountney on left and unknown on right

P1180938s.jpg

The clamping ring for the right hand one is small enough to sit inside the ID of the Mountney wheel

P1180939s.jpg

And that wheel has three separate spokes without an integral ring.......P1180940s.jpg

........ makes for a complicated shape to the top of the boss.

The back of the boss has a black plastic ring crudely peened in place. P1180944s.jpg

Doesn't scream quality..... but the overall effect is nicer than Mountney.  And the size/dish are about right.  I have another Mountney wheel that is about the size of a beef burger..... Too small.

Can anyone ID the wheel make?