Nick & Chris's Gt6 Mk 3

Hi "Unfit",

Welcome, fellow GT6 victim...... Yes, it takes a while - work expands to fill the time available + a bit.......

I also fretted over the gutter treatment.  I also looked at the above pic (Marcus Bewdleys car).  In the end it was simply cut back at a modest angle both horizontally and vertically until it looked right.  I used a file to do this as a small amount of material removed makes a big difference to the look.  Seen from the side I was aiming to match the shape of the swage line in the roof - more or less.

I don't really have any pics that show this well, but will take some tomorrow.

Meanwhile, a pic of today's progress.  Quarter windows fitted and both doors "stuffed" with their internals.  The windows even wind up and down :smile:

P1190251s.jpg

Less positive news is that our second fuel tank, thought to be "good" turns out to merely have the better disguised patch and is in fact probably less good that the original.....  Poo!!  At least they have both been empty so long (years to decades) that neither grinding or welding should present any personal risk!

Thanks Nick. I opened a thread there now and put up a few photos. I will put more up later. To be honest, It is nearly an exact replica of your own project which I think looks fab. Cant wait to get mine that far. I wont put up the photos of all the fiddly weding that has gone in to it so far but I will pick up the project from where it is now and update with regular photos.

Not looking forward to refitting my quarter windows. From what I can remember, I think there was a few issues with them when I collected the car. They were in one of the many boxes of parts that had been removed before I bought it. Ah well.

23 minutes ago, UNFIT said:

Not looking forward to refitting my quarter windows. From what I can remember, I think there was a few issues with them when I collected the car. They were in one of the many boxes of parts that had been removed before I bought it. Ah well.

Then I would strongly recommend a trial fitting before final painting........ if not already too late.  Though actually ours were not that bad.  Drivers side needed more adjustment than available, which meant some packing pieces to tuck it in behind the screen pillar (no gutter makes this more critical), but passenger side gave no issues.  Compared to Herald/Vitesse they are easy!

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

Then I would strongly recommend a trial fitting before final painting........ if not already too late.  Though actually ours were not that bad.  Drivers side needed more adjustment than available, which meant some packing pieces to tuck it in behind the screen pillar (no gutter makes this more critical), but passenger side gave no issues.  Compared to Herald/Vitesse they are easy!

I agree. After cutting and replacing sections of the screen pillars, I will be surprised if anything (windscreen included) will slot in without some "encouragement". Interesting times ahead methinks. Hope to get back to it for a day or two this week to look at a few areas that still need fettling. The area around the striker plate for the rear hatch needs welding and reshaping. Thats next on my list.

So work has been continuing......

The front vertical links removed from the Vitesse have been dismantled, cleaned, paint removed (old blue chipperite that actually dates to the PO covered with something black I added) and repainted.  The links and trunnions are in fine condition - clearly it is worth oiling them often!

RH side now reassembled with a new brake disc, LH side tomorrow hopefully.

Petrol tank no 2 has been attacked....... :ohmy:  It hasn't had fuel in it for a very long time, but had a hot caustic wash first anyway.

P1190260sc.jpg

This is the piece that came out alongside it's replacement.  It's rusted from the outside in where there was a nice absorbent padding strip to help it rot out.

P1190259sc.jpg

The holes that match the ones in the new piece are where the spot-welds that hold it to the baffle are, the other holes are tin worm.  We could have made more with little effort.....

Apparently we're going to TIG the patch in...... :unsure:
........after we've swilled the angle grindings out...... (and learned to TIG weld......)

If that goes ok....... then there is this to deal with as well caused by the nice absorbent foam grommet the factory used to "seal" things.

P1190261s.jpg

If I were thinking about injection, I'd be thinking about in-tank pumps about now.......

Lifter pump, to keep a small swirl pot full.    Any small pump will do, eg a Facet Solid State  Then a suitable high pressure external pump.     

Why are you worried about keeping it cool?  Moderns are a lot better than the old Lucas effort.

John

At this point John I'm not fitting injection so was (and probably still am) intending to simply use an electric Huco located near, but outside the tank to push fuel to the front.  I was simply musing that having a fume free tank with the "arse already out of its trousers" (as it were) there is a degree of temptation to also make the mods needed to fit an in-tank pump suitable for injection in case needed at a later date.....  The shortage of convenient locations to mount the Huco is a factor too.  Under the boot floor seems most likely, but need to haul out the exhaust and see if it does leave any space.

Not enjoying this headlining business.  Hateful job. Been at it all day and managed maybe a little over half.  Though we did have to remake the hardboard side panels as well.

Heat insulation/sound deadening first.  

P1190292s.jpg

Some unplanned woodwork

P1190294s.jpg

It's very small.......

P1190295s.jpg

The left side is more or less there....... I'm out of swear words now...... :mad:

P1190300s.jpg

The prospect of going back to it tomorrow is unappealing!

Headlining now in.  Not as perfect a fit as I would have liked, but I was loosing the will to live.......  Pics have come out blurry.... to spare my blushes presumably!

Then, for light relief (!) we refitted the tailgate, the tailgate glass (not too bad) and the windscreen, which was a bit of a bitch.  So all glass in now, meaning it looks pretty much like a car.

Then a big garage tidy-up (sorely needed!) and today, some pre-MoT work on the Spit followed by gardening and some fiddling about trying to recover the GT6 fuel tank sender which was corroded, covered in fossilised hydrocarbon gak and seized solid.  After and overnight soak in the parts washer, some carefully modulated violence and some parts were donated by a defunct Spitfire unit, it now seems to work. The tank now has two big holes in the bottom of it, but is nearly ready to go back together.  I think I have a plan for the pump - not in the tank though as that has many complications.

P1190306s.jpg

Yes I know, It still looks much the same (and the bonnet isn't properly latched).  Needs 200kgs of cast iron up front to bring the nose down!

Thanks.  Personally I prefer a touch of negative camber..... 

So..... have been contemplating the fuel pump location...... and the current thinking is to use the standard tank outlet and fuel line run with the Huco up front.  But not quite all the way up front.  Rather than place it in the hot engine bay ( I have a horror of fuel vaporisation), I was thinking to place it behind (or more or less inside really) the LH front outrigger.  This places it in the standard pipe-run at a point where the hard line has a flexi-section and is handy for wiring (wire down the battery box drain? :tongue:). It's shielded from the direct spray/mud/rocks coming off the front wheel by the outrigger, though I accept that some extra weather protection would be smart!

Can anyone point out the flaws in this plan I haven't thought of.....?

Hello Nick

We're are you going to fit the fuel filter?

Before pump is better but I suppose after should be ok 

I ran the pump on the bulk head in Spitty and as you switch on the pump ticks to fill carbs then turn key to start

I do not think fuel vaporization will be a problem as the pump will just tick to catch up (not like a mechanical one)

I also fitted a hidden switch in the glove box as anti theft and to turn it off when messing if needed 

Roger