Fuel Pump Hiccup...

So on my way home last Thursday the car stops 1/2 mile from home, fortunately that 1/2 mile is a quiet country lane and has a gentle slope down so I managed to get the car home easy enough.

I could see what the problem was pretty quickly as there was no fuel pressure, I had left the gauge on the regulator and it was barely moving when the pump was turned on.

The problem turned out to be the rubber hose between the pump motor and the outlet pipe had become detached. I had to extend this rubber hose so the pick-up would sit in the bottom of the tank, it was replaced with R9 fuel hose but does seem to have gone a bit soft, should it?.  I'll swap out with a new bit and make it a bit longer so it's a little more 'on', but worried the softening of the hose was the reason it popped off.

post-2144-0-85161400-1496592457_thumb.jpg

Since modifying the tank I've had a small leak from pump/tank seal, this is what the seal looked like when I took it off this morning, seams to have disintegrated a fair a bit.

post-2144-0-59276100-1496592355_thumb.jpg

This is what is should look like.

post-2144-0-81521800-1496596256_thumb.jpg

Will use a cork one going forward.

Darren

Have you an olive/ flange on the end of the fuel pipe to stop the pipe sliding off?

Yes, there's a flange on the pipe, that's why I'm a bit concerned the softening has allowed it to slide off. The rubber hose also seemed a little short, like it had shrunk, but maybe I just cut it a little on the short side.

Darren

Worth noting that there are quite a selection of hoses....

http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/SAEJ30.pdf

What this doesn't say but I'm pretty sure I've read elsewhere is that some hoses, including the R9 spec actually have (at least) 2 layers and although the inner layer may be suitable for continuous immersion in fuel, the outside may be chosen for different properties.  So could well be that the outer doesn't appreciate the constant immersion.  Above doc seems to suggest R10 for in tank use.  

I found this source

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/rubber-in-tank-fuel-hose-by-cohline-per-metre-2190-0615

but there may well be other options - marine supplies / ships chandlers seem to get recommended alot.

Nick

The VW pump I use has some sort of semi-rigid plastic pipes, nylon?? who knows. But the pump I replaced was about 20 years old (bought 3 years ago). 

It seems much of the oe fuel pipes etc are now plastic, the ford ones are heat-shruck onto fittings, and hidden under a rubber outer.

If you want r10, I think marine suppliers are a good source? unless they are still trying to flog their old stuff like many of the car accessory places. (been told by most of the local shops that the old r6 is fine...)

Hello Darren
Is there a reason it has to rubber? Can you not just use some copper or steal tube either soldered or compression fittings?

Roger

The VW pump I use has some sort of semi-rigid plastic pipes, nylon?? who knows. But the pump I replaced was about 20 years old (bought 3 years ago). 

It seems much of the oe fuel pipes etc are now plastic, the ford ones are heat-shruck onto fittings, and hidden under a rubber outer.

If you want r10, I think marine suppliers are a good source? unless they are still trying to flog their old stuff like many of the car accessory places. (been told by most of the local shops that the old r6 is fine...)

Rubber is just easier I guess and that is how the pump comes. I have ordered from Merlin Motorsport (Nick's link) and this is described as 'In-Tank' so should be good for the job.

I just didn't consider that the outer of the hose would be different to the inner....you live & learn!

Darren

I must say that the the high quality R6 as used by the OEMs does seem to be very good stuff.  In my original Vitesse FI build I used some rescued from various scrappers as a temporary measure.  It stayed on several years and I had no trouble with it.  I changed it for new motor factor stuff just because I felt I should and then had to do it again because that was crap and stank of fuel all the time. It was then I discovered R9, which doesn't stink of fuel and has never shown any sign of leaking BUT does suffer perishing and cracking of the outer layers after only 2 or 3 years.  When I did the PI more recentIy I found some old used R6 hose I had stashed from years before and used that to replace the (ethanol resistant but not R9 marked) hose I'd bought (from motor factors again) which stank of fuel.......  It was fine in spite of being really rather ancient, but again I replaced it with R9 which is probably now cracked and perished....

It's a bloody minefield.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Gday Darren-

While you are playing about with it- would you mind measuring the diameter of the plate for me please? I take it that is a range rover pump yes? I cant find the dimensions for it anywhere!

Cheers, Arlo

Hi,

The OD on the top flange/plate is 56mm. I have a spare 'in stock' if you need any other dimensions, just let me know.

Darren