Brake Servo On A Vitesse Or Herald

Yes, yes, I know they didn't have one as standard and they don't "need" one.  However, mine has always needed a very firm shove to stop it.  

After much tinkering over the years (every damn component rebuilt or renewed, various pads tried) it's been partially mitigated by a 5/8" M/C (some increase of pedal travel) and DS2500 pads, but still needs a hefty shove.  I'm bored with it (especially making the mental adjustment and recalibrating my right foot every time I swap cars) and the Management avoids driving it for this reason.

It's a reasonably fast car these days and the throttle has a very light action....... so the brake action doesn't compare well.

So, I had a rush of blood to the wallet (!) and bought a remote servo.  It's got 1:1.9 boost and I'll probably need to return to a 0.7" (or even 0.75") M/C to maintain a half decent pedal feel.  No worries there - but where the hell am I going to put the thing?  Getting it in at all is challenge enough, but getting it in tidily....... is it even possible?

Thoughts, pics?

TIA

Nick

Not a lot of room agreed. I have a servo that I was a going to fit one day and was thinking between the battery and heater box, never measured anything to confirm it though. Picked up a Spitfire chassis a year or so ago which had a remote servo up in front of the rad, so could possibly fit up the front somewhere, side of radiator mounting bracket etc.

Mark

Amazing isn't, open the bonnet acres of room, you can get at everything, but nowhere to mount anything.

Seen servos squeezed in above master cylinders, but not sure if people can even get the caps off without unbolting the servo.

I think with the Vitesse as some point you have to bite the bullet and relocate the battery, it seems the only way to realise some real estate!

I think its moving towards the top of my list, as now hopefully with the HT starter motor a bit lot more cable run may not be a problem.

Alan 

Not very keen on relocating the battery to the boot as I do use the boot, and it's a fairly significant effort.  As I've mentioned before, I have contemplated binning the heater and fitting a MkIV Spit one under the dash which would free a little space, though again, it's a fairly significant effort.

Did think about trying to put it inside, under the dash but not alot of space when it comes down to it.

Probably going to have to find the best compromise above the master cylinders.  I need to change both M/Cs anyway so could choose the remote reservoir type for greater flexibility.

Nick

Not very keen on relocating the battery to the boot as I do use the boot, and it's a fairly significant effort. 

Yes (not that I use the boot, but might now I have discovered that with the tank over the spring tunnel I can fit 4 x 5.5 13" wheels in) I had been in fact thinking of fitting 2 gel batteries in the rear foot wells, as 1) with the seats right back you can't actually fit a foot in 2) with the ROPS with diagonal and harness bar the back seat is unusable by anyone other than the India Rubber Man or one of those petite Russian gymnasts (but we won't go in to sexual fantasies).

Also pondering space under the Vitesse bonnet, I have realised that the great unused space is behind the outside headlights, as brake pipe length doesn't seem to have any effect just wondering if possible to use flexi brake hose to mount a servo there. However thinking about it I am going to seriously consider moving the screen wash reservoir there as that would free up a chunk of real estate on the bulkhead.

Alan