Health.....

The saga continues......... Was discharged yesterday in central London in a somewhat delicate state. Travelled home in stages, stopping to stretch legs & empty catheter bag (!). Was pretty punishing and could have done with more recovery time. Long story short, ended up being blue lighted to our local district hospital early this morning.  Was a very rough night but doing much better now. Likely to be in a day or two.

Hello Nick

That must journey must have seemed longer than the 10 countries bash (my eyes are watering at the thought of it!)

Any pretty nurse's? or all like Hattie Jake's?

Get well soon I may need advice when going over the passes in the Pyrenees (I hope the baro correction is about right!)

Roger

It was always a bit strange that a couple whose comedy was so British, had French (stage?)names.  Hattie Jacques and John Le Mesurier.  Didn't last, of course.

Sorry to hear you needed to go back into hospital, Nick.    "Readmission" is another parameter that shows the pressure the NHS is under, and the extraordinary way that the NHS bed complement has been destroyed in the past 30 years, from around 299,000 to 142,000, is just another factor leading to poor performance. 

But that's not your worry.    Hope life is, er, passing, better now!

John

Edited by JohnD

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

The saga continues......... Was discharged yesterday in central London in a somewhat delicate state. Travelled home in stages, stopping to stretch legs & empty catheter bag (!). Was pretty punishing and could have done with more recovery time. Long story short, ended up being blue lighted to our local district hospital early this morning.  Was a very rough night but doing much better now. Likely to be in a day or two.

All the best for a speedy recovery Nick.

The trip home from hospital after my heart surgery was torture, every cats eye and pot-hole a new world of pain.... you have my deepest sympathy on having to make a journey like that so soon after surgery.

All the best, Nick.

Sounds like Auric's aim was good, but Oddjob's bedside manner left something to be desired.

Having quipped about wind on Friday, I've just returned from an unscheduled stay in hospital, commencing with an A&E admission on Friday evening with the most excruciating and debilitating pain below my ribcage.  A passing event and nothing compared to your experience, but a reminder of the difference between the so-so GP service in Poland and the chaotic but invariably excellent care in hospitals.

Paul

Ouch! Sorry to hear that Paul. Sudden pains in that region are always a worry, even if they turn out to nothing worse than dinner fighting back. I understand that gall stones are particularly excruciating and hope never to test it personally!

trust you've been given a clean bill of health?

@yorkshire_spam was getting to the "every cats-eye" stage as we approach home last night but the worst things are the rumble strips that the highways agency have painted on the A303 before each roundabout to try and wake up sleepy truckers. Two near us have had several coats of paint and give an intense vibro-massage even in the softly sprung A6.  Got me again in the ambulance.

Will Nick's need inspire any here who don't give blood, to do so?   

Blood donors are in such short supply that I was recruited into the INTERVAL study, that looked at taking blood more often that the current 12 weeks for men and 16 for women.  And you can give blood, as often as every 8 and 12 weeks, without only a few symptoms and low heamoglobins in donors.  See: http://www.intervalstudy.org.uk/files/2017/09/INTERVAL-Main-Results.pdf

But the routine intervals haven't been changed yet.     If you would consider being a blood donor, have a look at the Donor Service webpage: https://www.blood.co.uk/who-can-give-blood/    It really is an easy thing to do!

John

Huh, as someone who was put off donating years ago by a somewhat brusque dismissal after confessing to having been to both Botswana and Swaziland, HIV hotspots, I'm now displeased to note that the PCa (although hopefully now gone) appears to carry a life ban?

Many years ago when I was a biker the boys would informally organize a donation run.  First few times we were denied simply on our appearance.  After the insult passed we embraced it as a game and fought back against their preconceptions and were able to donate usually.  I look back now at the foolishness of riding after donating but still smile at that whole scene

I was a fairly regular blood donor until I settled in Poland twenty-odd (or twenty odd...) years ago. The blood of anybody wirh a history of residency in the UK between c.1980 and 1990 (I forget the exact dates, but there is a prescribed time period) is rejected because of a perceived risk of CJD.

Paul