Sign in to follow this  
oldtuckunder

Mira Bogs Oh Well Back To The Lotions And Potions!

Well, that's fairly ugly....... and certainly explains the odd noises. I was imagining cracked welds in the "armpit" of one or two joints, not damn great rot holes!  I imagine it's because they've actually been in contact some of the time and there's been fretting.

Looks like a 6-2-1?  Is the stainless one a 6-3-1?  No idea whether "cross-talk" has been affecting performance but looks like hole enough for cross-talk to have been happening!

Wow back already!

post-2759-0-46871300-1498314755_thumb.jpg

And the nice man decided that even though I had only cut plates for the holed side

post-2759-0-77109000-1498314754_thumb.jpg

That he would cut some more and plate the other, so I now have completely new collector boxes, and all for £20 in the beer fund! 

Just have to hope that the wrap I ordered yesterday (even though I know it will be rubbish and will probably be in the bin by Christmas) actually turns up on Monday so that I can get it wrapped (sorry too hot under bonnet not to wrap) and get all assembled in time for Castle Combe on Wednesday.

In the mean time I think I'll do a trial fit of the Stainless System (Yes Nick its a 6-2-1, with a 2ltr competition car I think I want top end not mid range) That way I can do any bashing required and mark up the sensor bung positions and maybe have it ready to fit when this one finally expires.

Interesting had a few comments elsewhere that Stainless Systems should be Wrapped and Mild Steel Coated, so maybe thoughts of getting the stainless system Zircon coated are rubbish anyway.

Alan

Idled away a couple of hours today doing a trial fit of the spare new stainless headers, so now all I have to do is decide if its coating (looks like I may be wrong about not coating stainless, but still not sure if its snake oil) or wrap, and get some sensor bungs welded in (do I need stainless bungs?)  Then it can be ready to fit at some point in the future if the MS one gives up without needing any work.

Not too bad a fit out the box (unlike the MS one was) Bolted to the head the collector box actually connected to the two down pipes, and the outlet pipe was bang in line for the main exhaust pipe.  Had to fettle/open out all the bolt cut outs where the clamp bolts go, and had to grind away some weld around some of the pipes so that the clamps would actually seat, and a few little taps with a hammer on the collector boxes and down pipes so they weren't tight together, so now have enough clearance room for coating or wrap.

Nice job to have in the bank as it will save a lot of hassle if I have to fit in a hurry at some point. If I decide on wrap they can just sit there, if I start selling my body on street corners to get it coated I may be tempted to fit, as who can resist a little bit of bling if you have it! :P  

Alan, I perceived a significant underhood temp reduction when I coated my extractors.  I later coated the inlet manifolds to further inhibit heat transfer.  Many have poopooed the results as IR heat guns don't show a reduction but I am a believer.  In fact, I was pondering two days ago what had reduced the horrid interior temps I used to experience.  many small things  and I consider the ceramic coating to be a contributor.

Alan, I perceived a significant underhood temp reduction when I coated my extractors.  I later coated the inlet manifolds to further inhibit heat transfer.  Many have poopooed the results as IR heat guns don't show a reduction but I am a believer.  In fact, I was pondering two days ago what had reduced the horrid interior temps I used to experience.  many small things  and I consider the ceramic coating to be a contributor.

"but I am a believer"   Whilst not a great Monkeys fan, it was amazing the number of people humming that tune when Davy Jones died a couple of years back!

Interesting comment on coating, did you use wrap before? and find the coating better? what coating did you use? inside and out?  (sorry many questions)

I can understand why race teams use, lighter, less messy, lasts longer, just at the moment I'm struggling (other than supplier claims) that it actually is better, mind you I'll admit its way prettier  :wub:  

Alan