Tr Register Track Day Castle Combe 28Th June

For those interested £110.00 for the day extra drivers + £10 so for two sharing a car £60 each isn't bad for a good day out.

Will be there with Vitesse and TR8 so if anyone is around please drop by and say Hi!

http://www.tr-registershop.co.uk/castle-combe-track-day---wednesday-28th-june-2017-9922-p.asp

Alan

PS. You don't have to be a TR Register member

• 1 month later...

Spent yesterday evening at Castle Coombe as younger son was racing his bicycle there.  It was a warm sunny evening and I was able to walk the track (well mostly not the actual tarmac - 'cause 100s of fast bicycles on it! - the grass along side at least) and we met a very pleasant, chatty and enthusiastic gentleman with RV and race prepped MGB GT in the car park afterwards who'd arrived early for a track day today.

Consequently I just booked in for the 28th..... not done a track day before.....  Hope the Vitesse is feeling strong!  It did at least pass an MoT yesterday - the 28th in my ownership I think.

Nick

Ferodo DS2500s on the front.  They'll be ok.  The shoes at the rear..... might need the dust emptying out and adjusting up part way through though as they're crap.  Or maybe I should invest in some new ones if anyone can point me to a source of known good ones?

Nick

Excellent news!

So there will be a smattering of small chassis cars there.

Now somebody remind me, do they do a decent breakfast there? I really can't remember, seems a long time ago.

Easy solution is to be sparing on the brakes :o  but a timely reminder to glance at my pads tomorrow when I am under the car (trying) to fit a 3 1/2" silencer between the chassis rails. 

• 4 weeks later...

For Castle Combe its currently showing it drying up from mid morning Wed, However Wednesday is long way away!

Vitesse should make it, all back together bar coolant and sensor calibration (Oh plus all the heat shielding) Thought I'd leave it until morning so I don't rush and take time to check everything.

Dropped a new set of Yellow Stuff Pad's in the TR8, I didn't like them on the road or for sprints as they don't have the cold bite of the 1144's, but may be ideal for the TR8 going roundy roundy. Chris was intrigued why I made him scrub the discs clean and then sent him out with explicit instructions how to bed the pads in. Just told him if he didn't it wouldn't have any brakes! It seemed to work  :P

Alan

Was a great fun day out, in spite of persistent rain.

Rain may even have been a blessing in disguise as it meant that we perhaps couldn't rag the poor car quite as mercilessly as we might have done otherwise.

The excellent Falken SN832 tyres coped well - their EU wet performance rating seems well deserved!

Almost a 100 track miles and nothing fell off.  Some scary low oil pressures though and fuel economy was somewhat below average......... funny that  :P

Called it a day due to tired brakes in the end - rear shoes had worn considerably giving a low pedal and the dust was causing pulsing again.  Should be fine after knocking out the dust and readjusting.

Tired now!

Nick

The excellent Falken SN832 tyres coped well - their EU wet performance rating seems well deserved!

Yes I was impressed by them, they felt good in the damp when I was out, compared to the TOYO T1-R's I was running. I have been using Falken ZIEX 912's on the 13" rims and quite like them, and just checked and the SN832's are a LIST 1A tyre. Just wondering about investing in a set for wet days as if I go higher profile I can get closer to the rolling diameter of the 15" wheels.

What rim size are you running Nick? 5.5J?   and what tyre size?

Have to see if I can find a SH set of 5.5 steel or Alloys

Alan 

175/70R13 on 6" rim (ET 13 fits Vitesse and it's fairly critical).

I'd also like to know why yours keeps on pulling (and pulling very well) beyond 5.5k whereas mine has definitely peaked by then - when it should go on to Smiths......

Possibly the 54mm TB is too small......

Edit:  Could equally be the somewhat random design of the inlet manifold or the redesign of the collector area of the 6-3-1 or just plain mapping.  Really should go on the RR and check as short of a racetrack there's nowhere else to hold full throttle beyond about 4.5k for more than a very few seconds as it goes through way to quick in 2nd and you are going illegally quick in 3rd (and it's scary)

Nick

175/70R13 on 6" rim (ET 13 fits Vitesse and it's fairly critical).

I'd also like to know why yours keeps on pulling (and pulling very well) beyond 5.5k whereas mine has definitely peaked by then - when it should go on to Smiths......

Possibly the 54mm TB is too small......

Nick

Is that 6" i.e 6.5J  I ask because having MK1 radius arms (that are at a wider angle) I have to use 5mm spacers to fit the 6.5J 15" rims. Actually doesn't matter as the max I can go to is 5" (5.5J) as they were a factory option for Vitesse/GT6 so I can use in Roadgoing.

Suspect engine wise its a mix of things, I tried to set up for top end, and it may be little things like 6-2-1 are supposed to better at high revs and maybe by chance it matches the cam characteristics. Whereas yours has more mid range torque than my engine has, yours was pulling like a train from low 3K's in 4th whereas I need to be above 4K before it starts to pick up its skirts!.

If you think its TB size a simple MAP sensor should tell you, using one with the 150CD's I could certainly see approaching 6K where the restriction was starting to kick in.

Alan 

They measure 6" across the inside where the tyre actually fits.  This is where the ET (13mm in the case of the ones I'm using), or offset comes in.  ON a Mk2 Vitesse this means that a 175/70 tyre just (and I mean just) misses the standard, unmolested arch lip and the inside of the rim misses the radius arm (comfortably).  The picture is a bit less rosy at the front as occasional contact is made between the tyre and (slightly reduced) arch lip.

I already have a MAP sensor which MS uses for engine load.  I must do a logging run........  Will need to find a hefty hill to slow it's pass through 2nd gear though as 3rd would mean excessive road speeds...... 4750 = 70 on current gearing.  This may be part of the story in fact as 5,500 = 80, which is about where the Vitesse's outhouse aerodynamics really start to bite......  Though dropping into 4th seemed to produce new urge.  Frankly, apart from on the track, it is actually quite fast enough!  Just bugs me that what should be the wilder cam (by some margin) is giving up early.......

Were I to make a habit of track days the major weakness to be addressed would be brakes - specifically the rear brakes.  I've knocked the considerable dust out and adjusted them up...... Not tested the result yet.

Nick

ON a Mk2 Vitesse this means that a 175/70 tyre just (and I mean just) misses the standard, unmolested arch lip and the inside of the rim misses the radius arm (comfortably).  The picture is a bit less rosy at the front as occasional contact is made between the tyre and (slightly reduced) arch lip.

Will need to find a hefty hill to slow it's pass through 2nd gear though as 3rd would mean excessive road speeds...... 4750 = 70 on current gearing.  k

I can just fit a 195 on 15" rims (55 profile) on the rear as I cut the arch lip out years ago and seam welded the inner and outer arches, but do have to use a 5mm spacer to clear the radius arm (just!)  So if I can find another set of 5.5J (5") rims I should have loads of wriggle room on the offset using a 175/70/13, may have an odd TR7 rim that I think are 5.5J lying around so may try it for size.

See what you mean about difficulty testing MAP, for me in 3rd 70 = 5700 on the 13" wheels and 5200 on the 15" so I'm starting to get into the potential problem area before speeds get ridiculous, which is probably why I started picking it up in logs at WOT on the hills.

Alan

Further debriefing of the "apprentice" reveals that he enjoyed himself far too much and is keen to go again.  Pity he's just left his paying job to become a student again!

The car doesn't seem to have taken any lasting harm (though the front brake pads have definitely lost some weight!) and has returned to normal duties without protest.

The oil changed colour quite a bit in not many miles, which is not a huge surprise given that we were seeing hot idle pressures of 8 - 10 psi after two nearly back to back 15 minute sessions. I really must get the oil temperature gauge fitted....... but I've a feeling I'm not going to like the results.

Nick

Glad Chris enjoyed it! He a a good lad, and teh uni course will serve him well. However, the next few years may not be so kind to you, having 2 of Uni age (one just finished, with a first thankfully, and a job interview tomorrow)

I too have been examining my car. Found a few issues...

As we discussed, the "NZ" subaru diff front plate is not up to the job. Mine had a fracture along the bend next to the chassis mount. May well have happened at Santa Pod, where the forces on the mount would have been larger, so guess it was lucky CC was a wet day and care was taken to be a bit smoother and more relaxed than a dry day. To be honest, I really didn't notice, but the diff seemed well held by the rear plate and the remaining front mount. Plans for a stronger version are afoot, along with a  search for some 8mm plate.....

The second thing was the speedo that gave up a few days before CC. Checked the cable, no rotation at the speedo head. Withdrew the inner, hoping that it had snapped. Sadly not. Removed gearbox tunnel, angle drive all seemed fine. Now a bit worried. The speedo drive in the box would make a half hearted attempt to do an almost complete rotation, then stop. So extracted the plug on the other side of teh box and pushed the drive out. A couple of teeth were worn a bit, obviously where it was stopping. However, the drive gear which is a pushfit on the shaft had slipped an inch rearwards. I have managed to lever it back into position, but I am concerned it will move again. But not a lot I can do without stripping the box. I have popped a different drive in there too, with a couple of more teeth so hopefully a bit more accurate. Had enough for today, so tunnel back in wednesday pm I think,at least that is the plan.

On the plus side, taking the tunnel out meant I had to remove the cheapo power amp I had fitted. And will give me the chance to fit an Alpine unit I was gifted. It may just make the pair of 4" pioneer speakers wort listening to on long trips...and did I mention a pair of exhaust 180 bends arrived today? plan isto put a small, and much larger 4 or 5" box transversely under teh boot floor. Hoping for 48" of silencer, but looks like that is a tad hopeful ....

Further debriefing of the "apprentice" reveals that he enjoyed himself far too much and is keen to go again.

Spitfire next time?

Think I'm about to order a set of your Falken SN832's a bit of further research (plus my seat of the pants experience in yours) does indicate that they are good in the wet, what did surprise me was that a number of people also reporting fast wear rates, this possibly indicates that they may actually be a softish compound which would be a bonus. Tried a 5.5 TR7 steel rim with a 185/70 on both the front and rear of the Vitesse and have oodles of room at the rear and sufficient at the front, so I think 175/70's are going to be fine. Managed to find a set of TR7 Steels for not much money (well they are hardly a desirable item), they will probably need a blast and a spray but will see when they arrive. Plan is to keep them for wet weather days, as the larger diameter with 175/70/13 (22.65") isn't a whole lot off the 195/55/15 (23.44") so may help off the line compared to the little 175/60/13 which I can spin in 1st, 2nd and occasionally get to chirp in 3rd in the dry, so god knows what they would be like in the wet off the start line.

Will be interesting just trying them in the dry to scrub them in a bit, its been a while since I drove my Vitesse on tyres that has much of a sidewall!

Alan

Well, I'd be interested to try the Spit.  Have not pushed it much on the road, but it does seem to handle very nicely.  It's only got about half the power though.

The Falken SN832 do seem to have fairly flexible sidewalls  They also seem to be a fairly soft compound and may well be fairly fast wearing.   Wear rate wasn't my highest priority as the previous tyres got scary more due to old age than being seriously bald.

Surprisingly they don't seem to have suffered too much from CC, but I guess they were kept well lubricated!   Not sure how they'd have looked after the same treatment on a warm dry day!

Nick

• 8 months later...

So in  preparation for the next CC outing I've been examining the brakes.  I knew they were getting worn and they've done another 10CR since the trackday which involved many of big Alpine passes, including a very aggressive run down Stelvio hounding a modern Merc which made the brakes quite smokey.....

In terms of thickness there was still a respectable amount left.  Condition however......:blink:

P1170765s.jpg

P1170766s.jpg

P1170767s.jpg

These are Ferodo DS2500 compound and have been excellent with no pad fade even when literally smoking hot.  Clearly they have been suffering though.  Maybe I do need to revisit the vented discs idea.......

Perhaps surprisingly the discs look good and have very little wear.

Nick

Blimey they look well cooked. Looks like you got good use out of them which is satisfying. I removed the dust sheild and fitted 2.8 Capri discs to my Vitesse yet to be tested, which I think will be enough, but was thinking of adding some extra cooling/ducting via the front valence.

Mark