Vitesse Sound Insulation

Mark

Hi all

Something I am starting to think about whilst getting the Vitesse back to gether is sound insulation. I remember there was originally loads of it when stripping the car down years ago. i think it was Kapok wrapped in black polythene and shaped to fit in all the cavities. I did hang on to it for years but as some of it was disintegrating I bined the lot, and at the time thought when the time came I could get a modern alternative. I don't want go use Dynomat and was thinking along the lines of rockwall or similar products from Wickes etc, cut to shape and wrapped in black plastic as per original. I think this will be a cheaper effective option, whats your thoughts?

Mark 

I used a closed cell foam with a heavy vinyl top similar to this http://cascadeaudio.com/car_noise_control/vb_45.html   I was installing new floors and carpet and added this product from the bulkhead to the rear bumper and it did a good job of quieting the car. Over the trans cover and in the doors  I used the closed cell foam w/o the vinyl backing because of the irregular shape., Negatives: weight and cost

Edited by motov8id

Sorry cannot give a definitive answer, but this is a subject I have been thinking a little bit about.

The kit car industry has some very lightweight solutions amongst the various options available….

Insulation - Car Builder Solutions - Kit Car Parts and Accessories

Carpet and Matting - Car Builder Solutions - Kit Car Parts and Accessories

I have a roll of the lightweight carpet but haven't tried it yet for sound deadening

but am impressed enough by its low weight to think this option is worth consideration.

Ian.

ISTR that we discussed some pretty impressive sound/heat insulator material on this very forum a few years back, initially on the shoutbox before I posted a link in a thread in the hope that it might be findable again later........  Of course, I can't find it now...... :wallbash:   There may have been some connection with an Australian Citroen DS enthusiast (or I may be loosing the plot) and it may even be an Australian product.

Nick

Found it :banana: (well, Google found it tbh :whistling:  ), the combination of Citroen and Australia was the charm, even if I miss-remembered the DS bit....

http://www.shanescitshed.com/cx2500/air-con/citroen_cx_insulation.html  (Shane seems like our kind of nutter!)

http://www.lobucrod.com/

Finding it on the bloody Island could be tricky though.

Nick

A single 1.2m x 0.6m (1.7mm thick) sheet of Dynamatt weighs 2 kg.

That is not out of the way because used in conjunction CBS carpet will give a comparable total weight to the normal Triumph carpet.

Food for thought.

Ian.

Further to this comment,

I have discovered that there is a 30% lighter version called Dynamat Superlite.

It costs about 20% more.

Ian.

• 2 months later...

Hi all

Decided to try Earthwool Acoustic 50mm roll from Wickes. 13 metres way to much and probably enough to insulate several cars, but for £35 I thought I would give it a try. I am going to cut shaped sections to fit inside the panels, and now wish I hadn't dumped all the originals as could have used them as a template. I bought a heat sealer to seal the plastic that I intended rapping the Earthwool in.

I found one piece of the original deadening, and this piece is only covered on the outer face, tucked around the sides with a cotton backing which would have been stuck to the panel. I thought from memory that the pieces I removed were totally sealed in bags, but then it occurred to me that maybe it was done so that the sound is absorbed into the material. If I was to encapsulate it completely would the Earthwool be as effective? Not sure if it is just a matter of filling the void or if there is more to it.

Whats your thoughts?

Mark

• 2 months later...

Here's a sample of some of the sound insulation I made up. There are various other shapes to fit in the sides of the footwells and under the dash etc. The bags are sealed so little chance of the insulation getting wet. Cheap to produce using rubble sacks and Acoustic Earthwool. The only other expense was the heat sealer for about £28 off eBay but I could have gone for a smaller version for half that, but had other future uses in mind. The bags just push into the cavaties and wedge there, but I may glue them in place when all the painting is finished. I am sure these are going to be an effective sound insulation.

Love the new drag and drop feature!

Mark

IMG_5240.jpg