Fitting A Bmw E46 320D 2.56 Diff Into A Spitfire (V8).

Spitfire8

I've already posted on 'Welcome' and mentioned this and have had some interesting response. Having given more thought to it I realise that the primary purpose of any bracket I make will be to locate the spring and anchor it to the existing diff mounting points on the chassis. I can then hang the diff on the new bracket using the 3 mounting points the diff already has. The rear diff mounting point may stick out in the wrong place so that I have to replace the rear diff plate with something more suitable which might be part of the new bracket itself. It looks like there is quite a lot of room for the diff to move forward in the chassis providing the driveshaft angles are not too great and the driveshafts clear the chassis. The use of modified Rotoflex VLs and Metro/MGF wheel bearings, hubs and outer driveshafts seems straightforward enough and it seems a good idea to me to use the inner ends of BMW shafts and get them professionally joined. That can't be more expensive than having adaptors made. The car is presently complete and running on the 3.27 with swing axles and I'm wondering whether I'm going to be forced to take the body tub off to do the axle. If I had the back part of an old chassis I could develop the conversion on that ready for a relatively easy fit to the car later. Has anyone done a rear end conversion without lifting the tub? I haven't mentioned the lower links - are Rotoflex lower links the best route? Has anyone got a front end damaged chassis not too far from Lincoln UK, or a back part?                                                                                                                                                                                      post-3228-0-01238500-1485880987_thumb.jpg

A rear plate like mine uses the original mounts  :yes: However it is an offset diff so you need to decide if you want equal length drive shafts or the prop flange in the centre? Mine is the BMW Z3 Diff and there is plenty of room to mount the spring on top of the diff. 

IMG_5065.jpg

IMG_5059.jpg

IMG_5069.jpg

Edited by GT6_sleeper

Has anyone got a front end damaged chassis not too far from Lincoln UK, or a back part?                                                                                                                                                                                     

I've got a rolling chassis with a rear body tub on it which are going to be broken. Wasn't expecting much for bare chassis or rear tub. Send me a PM and see if we can come to some arrangement.

Would need collecting on a trailer from Worcester though.

Alan

Spitfire8

your idea to mount the leaf spring to the chassis and then the diff to the new spring mounting plate is a idea I came up with about 5 years ago.

tried to argue the advantages of this set up here on this forum, 

Its a far superior way and resolves a few suspension issues 

I used a Subaru diff