Vitesse Heater Matrix

Mark

Hi all

Having moved the engine in the vitesse back as far as I could without mods to the bulkhead I have been struggling with another problem of clearance between the heater and the back of the cylinder head. I trimmed 10mm off the depth of the heater box so that the matrix is flush with the inside but still it enough to get the heater in the remaining space on the bulkhead. So next step is going to try and cut down the matrix to make it narrower in depth. Going to be tricky and may not work. The tanks on the ends of the matrix appear silver but sanding the silver coating away reveals what appears to be a brass surface.

I was going to use solder to attempt to rejoin the end of the tank when I slic out a 10mm section. Do you think solder will join the materal. I have used this Method years ago to repair radiators many years ago.

What's your thoughts?

Mark

Struggling to understand what you mean.  The matrix in my Vitesse (Smiths) heater doesn't look very amenable to narrowing

Car stuff feb 005s.jpg

Considering using a Mk4 Spit heater and putting it on the other side of the bulkhead (ie in the cabin).  Will obviously mean filling the hole in the plenum  and making a new one in the bulkhead itself.

Not sure if it will actually go but ISTR seeing pics of this done to a Herald previously?

Nick

Yes same matrix as pictured. It sits horizontally end to end inside the heater box so I need to slice end to end as your photo is orientated removing approximately the first 5 vertical veins, so making the matrix less rectangular and more square, if that makes sense.

That should make it around 15mm narrower. It may then cause other problems with the distribution flap at the bottom of the heater box. I'll post some pics tomorrow to show what I mean. 

I did consider  using the Spit/Gt6 heater as I have one, and fit it on the inside but then I would probably want to remove section/plenum on the bulkhead drill out the spot welds etc. and fitting the heater inside as you suggest. All doable and may well go that route but trying to get the car on the road so looking at the option that involves the least about of mods.

I have seen a herald on the net somewhere with the Spit heater fitted under the dash but its been fitted whilst the whole of the dash and surround was removed.

Thanks

mark

Well it appears I managed to cut the heater matrix down by about 15mm which should enable me to cut the heater box down a bit more to get it to clear the engine. Although I have sacrificed a few veins, the amount of compacted crud that was in both tanks either end of the matrix was incredible. I don't think any amount of chemicals or flushing would have removed it, so with the sides cut off I was able to dig it out with a screwdriver, so will now be more efficient than its probably been since new. Had to get it hotter than I wanted whilst soldering as the heat was just sinking away. I was concern I may have melted some of the solder holding the veins together but after pressurising it a couple of times in a bucket of very hot water it appears at this time to be leak free. 

post-741-0-72113800-1485884544_thumb.jpg

post-741-0-64333200-1485884566_thumb.jpg

post-741-0-49688100-1485884576_thumb.jpg