Sign in to follow this  
itiejim

Supercharging The K Series

I'm a sucker for project drift, so when I saw a Turbo Technics supercharger kit come up on eBay for the K-series engined Elise / Exige, I had to have it....

It's the most powerful version of this kit which Turbo Technics made, supposedly producung 260BHP and 203 ft/lbs of torque and uses a centrifugal type charger, so it runs from a pulley off the crank, but gives very linear boost characteristics linked to engine speed. I bought the whole kit including special rods, pistons, air / water charge cooler, inlet manifold, pumps, etc, etc. It had been used on a Motorsport Elise and recently rebuilt by JanSpeed, so should be good for some more abuse. I intend to retain the VVC cams that I have with a view to gaining a more useable mid range and better manners than the (reportedly lumpy) TT effort.

http://www.turbotechnics.com/cars/TT260.htm

Anyway, having mocked it up on the car, I was clearly going to have to get the angle grinder out again. Who needs the suspension turret bracing anyway :o

Hopefully the below will serve to brace the turrets sufficiently when combined with a solid shock tower brace between the turrets.

post-637-0-73245400-1473017650_thumb.jpg

post-637-0-68971300-1473017669_thumb.jpg

post-637-0-78325300-1473017749_thumb.jpg

Next up I need to get the body back on the chassis to see if the (very long) inlet manifold will fit (I have a plan B ready if it doesn't) and to work out how to enlarge and modify my combined heater / air intake box to support the inlet which will now be on the other side.

2.html

Blimey....... that should be quite brisk!  See what you mean about the fit - but looks like you have things under control on that front.

I miss-read your opening line initially (drift project rather than project drift), but on reflection I reckon I'm right - you'll be drifting whenever you hoof it!

Watching with interest!

Nick

Yes, drift should be the operative word I think. It was quite handy with "just" 160ish bhp and a viscous LSD, with my new plated diff and another dollop of torque it should be balletic :)

Its certainly going to be tight on that side, I've got to fit an exhaust manifold down there as well.

Wow this does look interesting. Not sure how it will handle the power but I'm looking forward to seeing how it all goes. The 160bhp I had was well enough to get moving, I've got another 15-20 with an exhaust chnage but I honestly don't think I need it. I think 160bhp in a spitfire is well enough to drift with even with the LSD.

Itiejim is it a spitfire or GT6 yours???

It's a Spitfire (or at least it started as one). I've got coilovers and wishbones on the back and have incorporated some further chassis strengthening which have made it more forgiving to drive than it was with the swing spring. The Subaru diff will take the extra torque fine, but I suspect I'm pushing the (V6) type 9 box to its limits. I'm working on the basis that the reduced weight will limit the effective load through the box, we'll see!

I've been making a little progress on my wide rear arches - managed to get a satisfactory mould off the wing and an arch off of that which I have now affixed with trusty Sikaflex!

I'd really like to avoid having to try to replicate the arch mould on the other side so I'm trying to get a latex mould off of the driver's side and see if I can turn that inside out to get a satisfactory mirror image for the passenger side.

post-637-0-88755300-1485877443_thumb.jpg