Changing Wheel Size To Overcome Power Problem On Hills

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May try some tests on the hill, but with Gurston coming up this Sunday and the fact that my gearbox is getting very stiff going into first/second and I'd like to see if I can complete the last three events of the season before fast changes down from 3rd to second become impossible,

Could the gearbox be something simple like a bushes in the extension?

As they say always check "YOU DON'T HAVE A SLOPPY BUSH"

Gearbox was rebuilt and my guru found a worn selector fork and a screwed syncro hub. Only found time to do about 100 miles since rebuilt engine and gearbox went back (too many ageing relatives requiring visits) and foolishly deciding that a complete trailer rebuild was also required (when will I learn?) have to try to get about another 150 in this week and oil change, head torque, and tappet adjust before Gurston next weekend (Oh and get the trailer finished!) but anyway first couple of runs out gearbox felt much better, then late last week on a couple of short runs crunched 3rd to 2nd and wasn't happy. Tried calling Dave to see if I could pop over for him to feel but only answer phone. Put it aside until today when a friend told me that he was definitely away for Easter Week so no hope of a consult before Gurston.  Now I hate removing the gearbox tunnel in the Vitesse, my own fault too many electronics built in/attached to the centre console so that removal/refit takes far too long, but anyway a bit of rain this afternoon put paid to working on the trailer so I retreated to the Polytunnel and decided to pull the tunnel to look at the remote linkage. You've guessed it, completely shot bush in centre of remote linkage. My own fault in a bit of a hurry refitting everything had checked the bushes at the lever end and they were fine, but didn't check the centre one! it must have been marginal and few quick change tests in the past couple of weeks had obviously done it in.

Lesson learn't, for a few pence each time I have the tunnel out, just change the bushes,

All back together within a couple of hours, feeling slick, smooth and precise again from a short test run, curtailed by time/light as I haven't hooked up the bonnet wiring loom after refitting. Had hoped to have the new (sacrificial) bonnet finished by now but just run out of time :( 

Alan