Sign in to follow this  
Mark

1991Tssc Race Series On Youtube

I miss those days,just off to Brands now to watch the CSCC meeting,John Davies is there in his Vitesse.

Steve

It was good to meet John at Brands today , unfortunately it was only a flying visit so I was unable to stay for the race . I hope it went without drama unlike a previous race .

I did have a quick look at a GT6's rear set up but was only able to snap a couple of poor pics as they were trying to set off .

Ford diff , own designed uprights , Nitron shocks with separate reservoirs linked to the roll cage . You can see one top link behind the fuel tank .

I am hoping John knows more about it ?

post-680-0-98988600-1465076339_thumb.jpeg

post-680-0-76930300-1465076359_thumb.jpeg

post-680-0-70920300-1465076378_thumb.jpeg

Great to see you!  Thanks for dropping by!

That GT6 is very professionally built, and has a more sophisticated rear suspension than mine, with, as you can see, dual wishbones and coil-overs, fully adjustable.

Mine retains the transverse spring, in rotaflex mode, but with alternative uprights, drive shafts, CV joints and a fabricated wishbone.

With this, I achieve constant negative camber  and no tuck under.  See below at Crystal Palace last weekend (Thanks, Andy Cook!)

In fact I was pleased to find that even through a corner as fast and tricky as Paddock Bend, I could go as fast as a TVR!

But work still needed to get more power from the engine, and skill from the driver.

The race was a disappointment, in that there had been a long delay at a previous race, and then in the one before ours, the Jags managed to stuff three of their number into the Armco, whihc took even more time to extract and repair.  So our officially 40 minute race was cut to 25 minutes.

And then, for me, I was black& white flagged for "exceeding the track limits", using more of the kerbs than is now allowed. Twice!     It's a long time since I was blackflagged for anything - things used to fall off my car a lot - so I misinterpeted it as a warning of 'mechanical failure' (black & orange), and made a second pit stop to report in.     As a result, I lost about two laps, and reeceived a 5 second penalty.   The last was meaningless by then as I finished dead last, although my best lap would have put me in about 20th place, of 26, when four cars DNFed, and of those who qualified another four DNS.

If anayone has a picture of SofS at Brands, please PM me and I'll send you my emal address.

Bests,

John

post-690-0-65028800-1465140545_thumb.jpg

And back to the OP.

Enormous thanks to "BGF Brocho" who has posted much old film of TSSC Championship races from 1991.

Slightly before my time, or I'd be really chuffed, but many familiar names and some faces form that era,

And racing at Brands - the size of the grid, all Triumph!  The size of the crowd, ten times out audience yesterday!

John

It was much quieter than I had expected for a decent day indeed .

So what exactly is this over curbing rule John , sounds like it must be pretty hard to manage .

You will have seen on F1 and in days of yore that some drivers (Ahem!) use a lot of the kerbs.     Circuit owners laid corrugated kerbs, like those along the hard shoulder of a motorway, but MUCH fiercer, but many found that the advantage was worth the pummelling.     Myself, I've had my inertia switch on the fuel pump triggered by a kerb!     

It isn't just jobsworth rule-defenders though.      Persistent over use of kerbs damages them, damages the markers that circuits put up to try and keep us off the grass, and the grass suffers.  Also,  a trip into the scenery can unbalance a car and you end up visiting it in rather more depth than you intended.   

So in 2014, the MSA refined the rules: https://www.msauk.org/assets/tracklimitsguidance-3.pdf    Of course in some places the "kerb' and white line is rather wide, especially on F1 circuits, but if the tyres on one siode of the car go right over the kerb, you have 'exceeded the track limits".      A single offence is usually forgiven, but persistence gets a rising rate of penalty.      I was noted (Ahem!) to do it twice, hence the black'n'white (with my number) and the penalty.

Have to admit, I was overdriving the car.  With a bit more care (and skill) I could have avoided it, but Graham Hill Bend has only Mansfield at Cadwell Park that is anything like it.     A sharp left-hander at the bottom of a steep hill - I wasn't cutting the corner, but understeering out of the bend.    Strangely, 'exceeding the track limits' has never been a problem for me at Cadwell!

I think it was you who mentioned the 4x4 Stag to me?  I revived an old thread on CT's Triumph Torque, as they like Stags, and that the new owner was seeking some parts.  Perhpas you would tell them more than I can recall?

Bests

John